Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick Performance and SNL/Monster Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 09:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick Performance and SNL/Monster Clutch

Hey everyone. As someone that has experienced this phenomenon both in my own small business and working for other businesses, I would like to do my part to give credit where it is due. If someone has a bad experience, they spend every possible ounce of energy making sure everyone thinks the company/product/store/associate is terrible and should be avoided. Those people are then given tons of support, money, time, or attention to pacify them. The people that are perfectly happy with their experience go on with their lives quietly and no one is any the wiser. In an attempt to make sure it is not only the squeaky wheel that gets the oil:

Thank you very much to Tick Performance and SNL Performance (Monster Clutches) and all of the people associated with these companies. I recently installed a Monster Stage 2 clutch, new flywheel, new slave cylinder, Tick adjustable master, and speedbleeder. The install went very smoothly until the very end where I could not, for five days, get any pedal feel (or clutch disengagement). Tick responded to my email in less than 24 hours and gave me a few tips and tricks.

Now that everything is fixed, I am astounded at the way the car feels now (this is replacing a stock LS1 clutch, slave, and master with 80K+ miles that was swapped from one car to another). I can't wait to go drive my car now and look forward to any chance to go click off miles. After nearly selling the car because I was so disgusted with it, I now can't imagine being without it.

Thank you for these companies for making not only top notch products, but standing behind them and offering time and resources to help not only their customers, but the LS1Tech community in general. You folks epitomize good business and I really appreciate it.

I also want to offer up a big thanks to everyone that has responded to my numerous trouble threads in the past few days. Sometimes the smallest little thing is easily overlooked and having you guys shooting ideas at me is always helpful and very welcomed.

In case anyone was following my bleeding issue, it turns out that I needed to adjust the master cylinder OUTWARD (clutch pedal higher) to get a larger stroke I suppose. I adjusted the pedal out about 3/4" and the pedal is rock solid and feels top notch.

I am still in the break-in period and have followed the instructions for installation and break-in perfectly to be sure I don't screw anything up. So far I noticed a pretty bad chatter, but adjusted my driving technique to be a little more aggressive and it seems to be okay. When I do that I smell the clutch burning and was wondering if that is normal, especially in the first couple of hundred miles. I plan to give SNL a call regardless, but if anyone has any insight feel free to chime in.

Once more, thanks to everyone for making me love my car again. Just when I'm feeling the most distraught, you guys always pull through for me.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Threads like these are what it is all about for us here at Tick, and I'm sure SNL/Monster appreciates this as well.

Your business and your kind words are not only appreciated - they're our motivation for continuing to develop products for all GM enthusiasts!

So glad you're liking your new toy(s)!

-Joey
Old 09-01-2011, 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

all my monster clutches have had a slight smell durring break in (not a slipping clutch smell) its nothing to worry about and will go away
Old 09-01-2011, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Tick has some stand up products. I have a level 2 trans from them and thier master cylinder and both are top notch products.

Chris
Old 09-01-2011, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

Nice speaking with you!

Let us know how it goes after the break in!
Old 09-01-2011, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

I emailed steve but ill post this here for everyones reference.

While making a video of the chatter, I noticed that the smell is getting better, so it may have been due to the break in. Also, the chatter feeling was enhanced by my ypipe banging the floor which makes it sound and feel really bad. By ignoring that, and giving it more gas and popping the clutch a little faster it seems much better. It seems more jerky and is definitely not as friendly as a stock clutch, but to me that's a good thing. After first gear it operates just like stock (except for the fact that it grabs a ton more).

So as of now, I think any problem was user error. Ill finish up the break in period and report back.

Thanks again for your help fellas.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:20 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Gatsby
I emailed steve but ill post this here for everyones reference.

While making a video of the chatter, I noticed that the smell is getting better, so it may have been due to the break in. Also, the chatter feeling was enhanced by my ypipe banging the floor which makes it sound and feel really bad. By ignoring that, and giving it more gas and popping the clutch a little faster it seems much better. It seems more jerky and is definitely not as friendly as a stock clutch, but to me that's a good thing. After first gear it operates just like stock (except for the fact that it grabs a ton more).

So as of now, I think any problem was user error. Ill finish up the break in period and report back.

Thanks again for your help fellas.
I'd check the mounts to be honest, y pipe banging the floor board doesn't sound right. If the mounts are excessively worn it will make the car shake when engaging a clutch that is aggressive. Also, the smell you are getting is being caused by you slipping it to keep the chatter down. The Level 2 shouldn't chatter nearly as badly as you're describing. Take a look at those mounts and the general condition of everything involved while replacing a clutch to make sure nothing is loose/excessively worn.

Report back.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:54 PM
12 Second Club

I had the banging when I first installed the headers. Then it slowly went away, then it got way too low. heh. So this time I tucked it up and got new higher quality clamps and tightened it down really tight. It's pretty bad (the banging).

The smell is definitely going away. I just sent that last message in class, driving home I only got the smell leaving the garage (where I had to reverse and go forward very slowly and gently). I really think the chatter is hardly there at all, I think the y-pipe banging is 90% of it and I'm just associating them together.

When you say mounts, do you mean the transmission mount, or the motor mounts, or both? I've been looking for an excuse to put solid mounts in. When I'm idling, the shifter wiggles like CRAZY. As soon as I start driving the ride is really smooth and quiet, but I figured the various mounts which are 12 years old and have 120K miles may be showing wear. Heh.

So far every day makes the clutch better and better. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In case anyone was following my bleeding issue, it turns out that I needed to adjust the master cylinder OUTWARD (clutch pedal higher) to get a larger stroke I suppose. I adjusted the pedal out about 3/4" and the pedal is rock solid and feels top notch.
Oh wow, wouldve never thought it was that. Did you get install instructions with your master? Well at least you got it working.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:59 PM
12 Second Club

The master came with great instructions. I installed that 6 months ago, well before the clutch. I did not tighten the jam nuts properly, coupled with the new clutch apparently liking a different engagement point.

I just hope that anyone else having this issue has another variable to check. Heh.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:30 AM
FormerVendor

I had the banging when I first installed the headers. Then it slowly went away, then it got way too low. heh. So this time I tucked it up and got new higher quality clamps and tightened it down really tight. It's pretty bad (the banging).

The smell is definitely going away. I just sent that last message in class, driving home I only got the smell leaving the garage (where I had to reverse and go forward very slowly and gently). I really think the chatter is hardly there at all, I think the y-pipe banging is 90% of it and I'm just associating them together.

When you say mounts, do you mean the transmission mount, or the motor mounts, or both? I've been looking for an excuse to put solid mounts in. When I'm idling, the shifter wiggles like CRAZY. As soon as I start driving the ride is really smooth and quiet, but I figured the various mounts which are 12 years old and have 120K miles may be showing wear. Heh.

So far every day makes the clutch better and better. Thanks for your help!
Yeah with that kind of age and mileage I'm sure they have some wear and tear. I'm not necessarily saying to replace them with solid mounts as I've heard of issues with them from not absorbing any vibrations, but new OE ones would be what I recommend...atleast for the transmission since you mention the shifter jumping around.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:36 AM

Tick is a great product cant imagine my ss with out it.

Quick Reply: Tick Performance and SNL/Monster Clutch