Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave Throw out bearing travel question after bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Slave Throw out bearing travel question after bleeding

First, let me just say I'm a newb with the T-56 hydraulics. I'm trying to understand how this engages.

I just bench bled my slave and master combo and used some quick grip clamps on the throw out bearing
to compress it all the way down while doing it. I got all the air out and have less then 1/4" of pushrod travel
with the system locked up tight. (Yes, I have a 36" remote bleeder too)

After completion I released the throw out bearing and it extended completely. I noticed there is a black plastic
cover on the Throw out bearing that has some guides with metal tabs that prevent it from overextending
I'm assuming. So here's where I'm confused. If this is fully extended now due to the spring pressure on the
slave behind the TOB.....how does it compress when you install it behind the engine ???

Do the pressure plate metal tongues on the clutch itself what keeps the throw out bearing compressed at all times??
Then the clutch pedal actuates the hydraulic pressure to force the throw out bearing to override that pressure plate and extend ???

It's a real bitch to find out I did something wrong AFTER installing all this hence why I'm asking what seems to
be a stupid question to some, because I want to be 100% sure this is how it works.

Last edited by Aceshigh; 09-15-2011 at 10:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Slave Throw out bearing travel question after bleeding