Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 "Rollover" noise?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 "Rollover" noise?

I don't know if "rollover" noise is the correct term - I've done a couple of rudimentary internet searches as well as searches in the forums here with not much luck... I currently have the motor and transmission (T56) out of my 95 Trans Am... I remember before the car went out of commission that there was a fair amount of rollover noise made by the transmission - especially while being in 2nd gear while the clutch was being disengaged (at slower speeds). It never seemed to be problematic as far as the function or mechanics went, it was just a noise. The transmission is full of fluid (or at least it was - I drained it and plenty came out - plus I saw no visible leaks or seepage). I figured while the transmission is out of the car, I would take it down to AAMCO to have them check it out before I put it back in, but I want to be able to explain what I was hearing correctly - is "rollover" noise the correct term? I equate the noise to what you hear in heavy-duty trucks with manual transmissions... Or a noise that you may hear when you severely bog down the motor by being in too high of a gear... Should I even worry about having the trans checked out? Is this noise normal? Is there too much play between the gears in the transmission, or would maybe a higher-quality trans fluid help the issue? I just want to do the right thing now while the trans it out of the car. I'd REALLY hate to have to pull it again.
Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!
-Terry
Old 09-21-2011, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my 2 cents:
Roll -over noise is most evident while at idle when the engine "excites" the gearing and the clutch disc( the srpings at the center).
This is with the clutch engaged . If a roll over noise is heard with the peddle depressed( dis-engaged) it is most likely a clutch disc throw-out bearing issue.
If the trans were shimmed loose( the do get looser with wear/ time) it would have more noise potential. At lease have the shim selection checked.
You could use Mobil 1 ATF, it has a little higher viscosity( thicker) and can dampen some noise.
Check the body closure boot integrity. ANY tear / hole / cut can allow alot of noise to enter the cabin that would , otherwise, not be heard.
Bottom line is you may have no real concerns but now would be a good time to look at things.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the response - I appreciate it! I figured it would be prudent to replace the entire clutch (Pressure Plate, Clutch Plate, Bearing)... So hopefully that element will be eliminated as a possible culprit when the car is reassembled. I will ask to have the shim selection checked - the trans has 130k miles so it's probably a good idea to have it inspected regardless. I will also inspect the body boot - I actually don't recall paying much attention to it when we pulled the motor/trans... I imagine if it IS torn or damaged, finding a new one will probably be a challenge... Might be a duct-tape fix like Red Green.

Quick Reply: T56 "Rollover" noise?