Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

rebuilt t56 pops out of 1 and 2 on occasion

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default rebuilt t56 pops out of 1 and 2 on occasion

I told you guys a few months ago about my saga with being ripped off by that guy who rebuilds transmissions on the side... well I opted to take it to a shop (who an LSX performance company around here uses for all his rebuilds, and hasn't had any issues... yet.)

Well anyway, the transmission has been "hesitant" at times to go into 1st and 2nd... so I've been dealing with it hopeful that it would just wear in and start working, but it's getting very frustrating. Sometimes the car pops right into gear, and others it feels like it did then sort of "falls out"...

I'm thinking he's going to blame my shifter (which I provided to him along with everything else), but I don't think it's the shifter, because before I gave it to him, the car would go into gear just fine.

The car is a CTS-V.

Please let me know what you think so I can run it by him. I'd really appreciate it. thanks!

Also, I'm using Max life ATF in it.
Old 09-26-2011, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What shifter and what shop?
Old 09-27-2011, 06:38 AM
10 Second Club

If its popping out and it sometimes feels like it goes into gear and comes out then its more than likely the 1/2 shift fork is bent.....
Old 09-27-2011, 06:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's happening in 1 and 2 the pads may have come apart on the fork, don't normally see a 1-2 fork bent.
Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

PISNUOFF on the cts-v forums shifter, hodges transmission, and I'm agreeing on the shift fork I think.

It sorta feels like there's some "mush" I gotta push through, then it pops out. Other times it feels like 2-6.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Does the transmission have bronze fork pads? Are they stock? I had my stock ones held on just a little bet (pretty much broke) and it would get stuck in 3rd and 4th gear. It's not common for the 1/2 shift fork to be bent but it does happen.
Old 09-28-2011, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I sorta noticed another possible symptom. If it pops out of the gear, you're able to "touch" the gears and it grinds, so naturally I back off. Any relevance?
Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 PM
10 Second Club

Shift fork....
Old 09-28-2011, 10:12 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

At this point you already know that the first 4 "builds" by your friend's buddy were a hack-job and a half.

Hopefully you bluntly told this second shoppe point blank that you weren't sure that the first guy even put it together right. Else, this tech might have just put it back together w/ the parts it had, correct or not. As for either's ownerships of the full inspection of the parts re-used, that's in question obviously.

Key ideas here: Even though it feel like you're being an overbearing jerk, you needed to be the customer that said you needed the old parts relevant to the issues addressed by the shoppe. If you got back things that weren't relevant to the issues addressed, then you'd know they may not have put it back together right w/ correct parts to the issue at hand.

You really hosed yourself dragging it around and supporting your locals when the sponsors that support this site multiple people here suggested could have done it once correctly and you'd be happily banging gears at this moment.

It's not going to fix itself with how you're handling the problem.
Good luck.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blu byu EH
If its popping out and it sometimes feels like it goes into gear and comes out then its more than likely the 1/2 shift fork is bent.....
Does the transmission have bronze fork pads? Are they stock? I had my stock ones held on just a little bet (pretty much broke) and it would get stuck in 3rd and 4th gear. It's not common for the 1/2 shift fork to be bent but it does happen.
Shift fork....
Will you please show me pics of said bent shift forks?? Aluminum that thick will not
bend!! It will break before it bends. Sooooooo....... No pics??!! Didn't think so...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I would look into it being a 1-2 syncro engagement teeth issue. I would tear it down open it up and take as many pics as you can of everything and we will help you through it.

Quick Reply: rebuilt t56 pops out of 1 and 2 on occasion