Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clunk with slow gear change

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Clunk with slow gear change

I'm getting this clunk from underneath the car when I shift slow and easy or downshift. If I shift fast, It doesn't clunk. I recently installed a new clutch/slave/master. I don't remember the car doing this before, but I haven't really driven the car that much in the past year before installing the new clutch. I'm thinking the more aggressive clutch is making the clunk more apparent. I replaced my trans mount last night, but that didn't help. Any ideas on what it can be? Below is my suspension setup.

UMI Adj Torque arm, TA relocation bracket (used 3rd set of holes from the bottom), Rod ended LCA & Panhard Bar, LCA brackets (Bottom Hole), SLP SFC, KONI shocks w/ Strano Springs.

I also noticed I can twist my driveshaft a bit, but the U-Joints are nice and tight. It's more like play in the trans and rear gears.
Old 10-11-2011, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll always have a little rotational "play" with the driveshaft like that. But it could be a number of things. First thing that comes to my mind is the torque arm.

I had lots of problems with my adjustable torque arm and the jam nuts coming loose from time to time. Or it just needing alittle tightening. Anything with a rod end can make noise. Its like going from rubber motor mounts to solid. All the vibes and bangs from the suspension are transfered into the body instead of being absorbed by rubber mounts.

You probably notice it more when you shift slower because things are coming unloaded then re-loaded. Vs. when you are banging gears and things are staying more loaded..not to mention all the other violent things going on in these cars when we play hard with them. The clunk probably just takes a back seat.

Ide start just by double checking and tightening all the bolts in the suspension from the trans mount back. Not sure what you are running for a rear...but I guess if there were a problem and your backlash opened up you could get some clunking, but Ide think you would notice other problems there aside from clunking. That just screams torque arm or mount to me.

Good luck tracking it down! I changed my poly torque arm mount to a spherical rod end and got tons of clunking. In the end, I just ignored it. I knew it was all tight, and it was just the extra noise of the performance parts..

J.