Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Going to have my T56 M12 FRESHENED up. What should I order

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Going to have my T56 M12 FRESHENED up. What should I order

Looks like I am having linkage, cylinder, clutch issues so with everything out of my Z06 I am going to have my cousin who has the ability to rebuild T56's go through it. Nothing is wrong with the tranny just figure I can take advantage of cheap labor with it out. What should I consider replacing while it is in pieces?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:34 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All the friction rings, and the outers if needed.
Steel 3-4 shift fork
Billet 3-4 keys
All shift fork pads
All seals ( 2 in the tailhousing, and one input, and the o-ring on the tailhousing)
All keys and springs
Bearings (if they are dark)
I also like to de-burr and polish all the synchro sleeves, if they are being re-used (good sharp points)

You might also take this opportunity to re-seal the rear differential, as they are notorious for leaking. There are 2 axle seals, and 3 o-rings all together. I have all these "hard to find" o-rings in stock and the seals.
It would be a good idea to pop the differential apart to check the clutch packs and tension washers. Half the time the washers will be broken and the clutches worn.

Check the torque tube bushings and snap rings as well. If the input shaft has a lot of play or you can smell rubber, then you probably have a problem
Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My rear diff is brand new with 300 miles on it. Just had it built. No worries there.

All the parts listed above, what would it cost for my M12? Can you PM me a price break down. I am not sure I need all this with a 40K tranny in good working order but figure I might as do something with it out. I was thinking seals, pads, and rings, but if everything doesnt nickle and dime me I will do it all. Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 12:00 PM
FormerVendor

If you reseal the differential is becomes one of those situations where the "well while you're in there". Comes into play. While you are in there it would be a good time to upgrade to C6 Z06 axles. They are very cheap considering the hassel to pull the diff back out to replace a broken short stub shaft. It is all available from the dealership so if you have a parts hookup you can get them even cheaper.

Quick Reply: Going to have my T56 M12 FRESHENED up. What should I order