Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Attn McLeod RST/XT users:CHECK stack height on clutch before installing!(blown motor)

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 05:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attn McLeod RST/XT users:CHECK stack height on clutch before installing!(blown motor)

A few months ago I finished my built engine/turbo setup. I purchased a Mcleod RXT twin disc and installed it. When I installed it I didn't bother to check (never had to before)the stack height of the clutch. I installed it and drove around for a few hundred miles and immediately after break in the clutch started slipping on 10psi of boost. So I removed the trans and was instructed by them to measure the stack height. With the TOB fully depressed there should be (from what I remember them saying at least .050" of clearance between the fingers of the clutch and the throw out bearing. The clutch ended up being .250 too tall.

I was asked which transmission I was running (LS2 with GTO MN12 T56) and was told (which I later found out was false) that the faceplate on the MN12 GTO is different which is why the clutch didn't fit. So I was sent a custom clutch (shorter pressure plate and flywheel) installed it in the car and it worked great. Pedal postion was where it was supposed to be and the clutch gripped like crazy. (I just removed the clutch from the car and it still looks great)

A few weeks later I starting having (or at least starting noticing) oil pressure issued. I changed the oil and found copper flakes in the oil. I parked the car for the rest of the summer. I just got around to disassembling the engine and found the thrust bearing along with the #4 completely wiped out. I talked to my engine builder a few other people and came to the conclusion that the constant pressure from the original clutch being too tall and pushing forward on the crank is what killed the bearings requiring the engine to need a rebuild.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Which style pilot bearing were you using?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:09 PM
10 Second Club

OEM needle bearing.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, any serious consistant force on the thrust will take it out.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:46 PM
10 Second Club

Yup. I wonder if anyone else is having this issue.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Snyper
With the TOB fully depressed there should be (from what I remember them saying at least .050" of clearance between the fingers of the clutch and the throw out bearing. The clutch ended up being .250 too tall.
With a closed bellhousing, how are you supposed to check the clearance between the throwout bearing and the fingers of the clutch?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:47 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Snyper
The clutch ended up being .250 too tall.

I was asked which transmission I was running (LS2 with GTO MN12 T56) and was told (which I later found out was false) that the faceplate on the MN12 GTO is different which is why the clutch didn't fit.
I'd have jumped up and down grinning my head off while offering to swap to the Camaro front adapter plate and ask if they were verifying clutch fitment with that done.

came to the conclusion that the constant pressure from the original clutch being too tall and pushing forward on the crank is what killed the bearings requiring the engine to need a rebuild.
Sorry to hear that. It's unfortunate a company brings so much to the table in unique product but potentially also ends up with fitment issues like this.

Originally Posted by quadman
With a closed bellhousing, how are you supposed to check the clearance between the throwout bearing and the fingers of the clutch?
The stickies thread up top has info on needing a shim. That'll outline it for you.

Quick Reply: Attn McLeod RST/XT users:CHECK stack height on clutch before installing!(blown motor)