Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 pops out of reverse?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy T56 pops out of reverse?!

My tranny pops out of reverse all the time now. I have to hold it in reverse with pressure. First time it happened it scared me so bad i thought my driveshaft snapped. Any idea what could be wrong or what needs to be done?
Old 10-22-2011, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Im having this same problem, drives me nuts. I have to get on and off the clutch quickly to not let it have the chance to pop off.

Generally its usually a bent reverse fork, and damaged/broke off fork pads. The tailhousing needs to come off to inspect the damage.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:03 PM
Teching In

Yeah its painfull when it happens. For me its so instant that i cant hear it coming. If i put too much torque into it for reversing, its like Clunk! and its in neutral.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 PM
Teching In

I am probably droping the tranny anyways because i might be getting a new flywheel to try to fix my vibration problem. :S
Old 10-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Banned

Could be worn shift fork pads, burred up sleeve and gear, shifter stop not adjusted correctly or the clutch not allowing it to go all the way into reverse.

Turn the car off. Apply reverse and start the car. See if it still tries to pop out. If it does, you can rule out the clutch being the issue.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

I had the same problem the first couple of seasons I had my car, previous owner told me it was a nick in the gear and to hold it in gear. turns out the rev synchro was shot and holding it in gear only made it worse and had to replace the actual gear itself. only way to find out whats going on for sure is to open it up, but I'd put my $ on the synchro...tho thesource is a wise man so it could very well be what he said. either way I'd def stop holding it in gear before you need a new gear as well!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advise guys. When i hold it in reverse it doesnt make any loud grinding sound.

Quick Reply: T56 pops out of reverse?!