Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LS7 Clutch Help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 07:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS7 Clutch Help!

I am at a complete loss with this... my car was making a horrible rattling sound and would jerk VERY bad every time I took off from a stop until the car began moving and then everything was normal. It shifted gears no problem once it was rolling. But taking off, it sounded like the clutch was just floating around in there. The best way I can describe it is it's kind of like "cam surge" but x1000. I bought the clutch brand new and it was only in there for maybe two months. There is no sign of excessive wear or anything and I have not even been to the track with this clutch. So I disassembled everything twice now and still can't find anything obviously wrong...

The only thing that I found are the yellow springs inside the LS7 clutch disk are at coil-bind on the ends so they are just floating around in there with nothing holding them in place. I didn't pay attention when I originally installed this but are they normally like this? Could anyone explain the purpose of the springs on the clutch disk?

I have been fighting this problem for months now and any help would be appreciated!
Old 10-28-2011, 10:04 AM
FormerVendor

The secondary spring should be able to move freely but they can hang-up a bit as they compress and move within the primary spring. This would not likely cause your issue though. Please provide a picture of the pressure-plate, specifically the top of it where the SAC springs are visible. Having a plate that is hanging up can and will affect engagement. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2011, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume the condition of all your engine/tranny mounts are good?
Old 10-28-2011, 01:13 PM
Staging Lane

well my computer is acting up right now so I can't upload a pic of the pressure plate. but both the pressure plate and flywheel look perfect so I do not think it is a clutch issue. I am pretty sure it is the rearend...

Just because I am still curious, how do the primary and secondary springs in the middle of the clutch disk work? how are they activated and what is their purpose?

Last edited by ennovations; 10-28-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:04 PM
FormerVendor

The springs work to dampen torsion and thus are intended to "soften" the transition of the disc as it moves from clamped to released (and vice-versa) by the plate.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Staging Lane

ahh now I see. It never made sense because I've never taken one apart before. I guess the plate that the actual clutch material is attached too is not directly connected to the hub that the spline goes into? therefore the force is transferred to the springs under the initial engagement. is that correct?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clutch chatter for a normal clutch like this is almost always due to contaminants on the surfaces or improperly torqued pressure plate. Did you torque it down 1/3 at time in a star pattern? Did you clean the flywheel befiore installing?
Old 10-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Staging Lane

i know what clutch chatter is and it is definitely not that. my 10 bolt finally gave out...
Old 10-29-2011, 03:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ennovations
ahh now I see. It never made sense because I've never taken one apart before. I guess the plate that the actual clutch material is attached too is not directly connected to the hub that the spline goes into? therefore the force is transferred to the springs under the initial engagement. is that correct?
Yes, sorry to hear about your rearend.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Well I think I got it all figured out. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: LS7 Clutch Help!