Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

replacing tail housing in the car?

Old 10-27-2011, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing tail housing in the car?

I managed to crack the tail housing on my t56 in my 98. I have a new one on the way, and was wondering if anyone has taken the tail housing off in the car. I plan on disconnecting the cat-back and dropping the trans crossmember while leaving my tsp ory on the headers. I haven't had it on a lift yet, but I'm hoping I cab slide the old one off and the new one on like that.

Any input is much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only problem with doing it this way is you can't check the end play on the extention cluster. Just make sure you change over the bearing race and shims from the old tail housing to the new one to get as close as possible.

Just swapping the tail housings shouldn't be "that" difficult to do in the car. I would drive the roll pin out of the shifter offset lever and remove the two top tail housing bolts from inside the car befor you lower the transmission down. Everything else should be pretty straight forward. When putting it back together you will need a small screw driver or pick to help guide the shift rail assembly into its place in the tail housing. Make sure you clean the hell out of the mating surface befor you put it back together or it will leak like CRAZY. It will be tough to get it really clean because the magnets will keep leaking crap onto the mating surface. Just keep cleaning it with brake cleaner and clean rags and you will eventually get it clean.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:28 AM
TECH Regular

look on this area for sticky for help. i think there are pictures too. how did it crack? tail shaft mount torque arm ? i think umi has a trans mount that isolates the torque arm from the trans and you can use any t/a with it good luck, take your time, and dont fill the blind holes with sealant... oldman.....
Old 10-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. Yes, it was a tailshaft mounted torque arm that broke it. I ordered a relocation kit from umi when I ordered the new housing, plan on doing all that at the same time.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:09 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

I've been there and done it it that way...not worth it. It's easier to just pull the trans, instead of working around everything. By the time you remove all the necessary items to get the tailhousing off, all you have to do it take out the 8 bolts holding the trans to the bellhousing & the trans will be out. Also, like mentioned above, you have to clean off all the sealant and clean the mating surfaces thoroughly. Use any type of sealant except ultra gray, or cheap crap and you'll be just fine.

Oh, one more thing, about half the time the top 2 bolts on the tail are so close to the casting of the tailhousing, that you can't get the 15mm socket on them. You'll end up having to use an open-end wrench to get them out, which will be impossible with the trans installed.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:25 AM
Banned

I agree. Drop it and do it on the table. The job will go much smoother and the end results will be better too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: replacing tail housing in the car?