Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

2010 SS TR6060 into 4th Gen FBody (PICS)

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,394 Likes on 880 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6sleeper
I know for sure the ZR1 and new ZL1 have it.
False...

Andrew
Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just read this whole thread for the first time and thought I'd add a few things that may help someone out later. First, we have a custom machined fitting that will plug directly into that newer style slave cylinder and accept either a 3an or 4an line. It is part of our c6 master kit, but we can sell a line and fitting if someone needs it that will adapt it to either our master or a stock gm master.

Also, as for the yoke and mainshaft we do the following on our magnum conversions. We cut the mainshaft to the exact length of the t56 mainshaft. This leaves a pretty short length of splines on the magnum shaft, so all you need to do then to fix the yoke is machine out about an inch of splines on the inside. This will allow the yoke to go on farther than just the splines left on the mainshaft. You don't even have to cut them completely out, just enough so it will slide over the un-splined section of the shaft. This is the same way the slip yoke is on certain th400 transmissions.

If you don't cut the splines out like this, the yoke may not go fully through the bushing once it is pulled back to the rear yoke and bolted up. This could result in premature bushing wear and a vibration.

Also, machining the yoke this way would allow the current shaft to work with the new yoke on a magnum conversion(the tr6060 camaro trans would be longer however requiring a new shorter shaft anyway however).

By cutting the output to the same length as the t56, there wont be any confusion with the driveshaft shop when it comes time for a new shaft either. A simple seal to center measurement should be all thats necessary...but if theres an extra inch of shaft sticking out the back you will need a special deep yoke and a shorter shaft.

The first magnum conversion I did we milled down an SSR tail as described here. The slip yoke needed isn't nearly as common however and there are no super strength versions made with those dimensions like Strange Engineering offers for the smaller diameter 31 spline c6 yokes.

I didn't like milling the SSR tailhousing down because it left very little hole for the shifter bolts themselves. I can see customers bottoming out their bolts resulting in a cracked or stripped tailhousing...

It isn't very hard to install a sleeve between the rear bearing in an f-body tailhousing or machine the tailhousing for a viper sized bushing and seal. That bushing and seal is readily available and as mentioned above gives far more options for slip yokes. The f-body tail is cheaper than an SSR also.

I have twisted enough slip yokes to know that I want a chromoly or billet one on my cars...and if you have enough hp to need a magnum conversion I wouldn't really trust a $60 slip yoke. With that said, the huge barrel thickness of the th400 sized yoke with an SSR tail may be strong enough even on the cheap yoke. I have twisted 3 30 spline yokes with nothing but a cam only LS1, granted it was launching at 7800 rpms lol. I never twisted the last billet one however.

On the shift rail, just get one for an f-body along with the foward offset level and the detent plate. Use a t-56 detent cover plate so it doesn't stick up and hit the floor.

Last, for the speedo we simply hone out a factory 4th gen rotor and machine a slot that will alow it to slip onto the magnum shaft and be held in place by a check ball. It becomes thin, but it can be done and you don't have to hassle with pressing it on or god forbid welding it lol. I used the factory 4th gen one because the outer diameter was smaller than what came on the magnum and it may have even had a different tooth count. I'm not sure what the outer diameter of the 2010 camaro's rotor is, but if its bigger it might not clear the sensor when bolted up or work properly.

Also, the SSR tail positions the speed sensor in a bit different location than the f-body tail. Either one will work, it just requires the location of the speed rotor to be switched with the plastic mechanical gear included inside of a new magnum.

To the OP, where did you get that an fitting that snaps into the oem line fitting for the cooler lines?
Old 02-07-2012, 10:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I also have an SSR tail already milled down and a slip yoke already modified as described if anyone is interested. I will take $200 for the pair. Since we decided to stick with the f-body style tail with the smaller bushing and seal I don't plan to use it on any of our builds.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the tips Jonathan.I have been considering this swap lately and your post will come in handy.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i want a billet yoke for a viper output in a t56 with a 1410 u joint anyone know where to find or to get made such a beast?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
If i want a billet yoke for a viper output in a t56 with a 1410 u joint anyone know where to find or to get made such a beast?
Not sure why you chose this thread to ask this question in?

FWIW, when I was researching standard yokes for the SSR T56 Hybrid and this TR6060+SSR tail hybrid, I worked with Action
Machine to find stock parts:

http://www.actionmachineinc.com/slipyoke.aspx

When I needed a hard-to-find Ram SRT10 T56 slip yoke, these folks at Unitrax helped me out greatly:

http://www.gounitrax.com/default.htm

If no off-the-shelf piece will work for your combo, I'm not sure if either of these places do custom yokes. For that you might want to check with the site sponsor making the custom tr6060 flange adapters?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...ons-swaps.html
Old 04-09-2012, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks mike,

reason i asked here because it was discussed previously and so far i have had a hell of a time finding one. And most of the people i see post that know a thing or two about these trans and custom deals were in here.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jonathon, great info,
Im about to do this to my 98, where did you get your yoke?

Op id also like to know where you got the fitting
Old 07-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Custom fabbed chromemoly tranny mount made for the 6060. A T56 crossmember will not work as the 6060 sits a little further back.

Old 07-30-2012, 02:53 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

That's some impressive work. Don't see that often
Old 12-16-2013, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Has this been road tested yet?
Old 12-24-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Last I heard, he was selling the trans. Dunno if it sold yet. I finished building mine but wont be running it till April at the earliest. Tremec is absolutely horrible about releasing parts for these things. I waited about 2 months to get a magnum output shaft and about 1.5 months to get a shim kit for the countershaft. Getting the updated blocker rings was only about 2 weeks. I didnt update 1st and 6th blockers as it seemed a waste at the time. Jeremy at RPM was very patient and got my F-body tailshaft modified. It was a big pain for them too since the tailshaft I wound up buying was one for a 93 T-56 which was a 1 year odd ball that requires a steel spacer between the reverse idler gear and the tailshaft housing. Not an easy project for them. When I first started calling around for countershaft shims for this thing, you could hear the frustration in the voices of the different places I was checking with.
Old 12-24-2013, 01:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Magnum Tranzilla for an f-body from Rockland Standard Gear that I need to sell. It has around 7,500 road miles on it. It is excellent condition if any one is interested. I plan to post it for sale after Christmas
Deeavi
Old 03-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Teching In

hey guys i need big help here...
i have ls3/tr6060 out of a 2013 camaro with 6k on the clock... Im swapping it into a e36 bmw race car.. major problems have surfaced with the output shaft not coming out and the trans mounts not bolting up to the t56 mounts i have.

this is where i need help... Im not a welder nor do i have lots of such tools. Id like to know if there is any trans companies etc that make a swap kit for the tr6060 to a t56 magnum tail housing or something very similar like posted above (only with all pictures n places to get everything)... or a very detailed person that can type it up what to do with pictures..

or is the tr6060 valuable to trade for a t56 magnum? or sell n buy a magnum? the trans will take some beatings but motor will be stock minus tb convert to cable drive n a tune..

i currently have a slip yoke for t56 magnum or 4speed

thanks guys. need help asap build is in works n such trying to figure this out..
the OP pictures are no longer up so i can't see anything he has detailed. thanks guys
Old 03-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Deeavi
I have a Magnum Tranzilla for an f-body from Rockland Standard Gear that I need to sell. It has around 7,500 road miles on it. It is excellent condition if any one is interested. I plan to post it for sale after Christmas
Deeavi
still for sale? interested in trade? or whats ur asking price?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Can someome repost the pics from this thread?
Old 07-25-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Addict

Doubt it due to the person that posted them being banned
Old 07-25-2014, 07:41 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

wayback machine has some pics from their 08/01/2013 archive of it.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:42 PM
TECH Addict

someone has a built one with zero miles for sale in the classifieds
Old 03-04-2015, 10:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DAVESS02
Last I heard, he was selling the trans. Dunno if it sold yet. I finished building mine but wont be running it till April at the earliest. Tremec is absolutely horrible about releasing parts for these things. I waited about 2 months to get a magnum output shaft and about 1.5 months to get a shim kit for the countershaft. Getting the updated blocker rings was only about 2 weeks. I didnt update 1st and 6th blockers as it seemed a waste at the time. Jeremy at RPM was very patient and got my F-body tailshaft modified. It was a big pain for them too since the tailshaft I wound up buying was one for a 93 T-56 which was a 1 year odd ball that requires a steel spacer between the reverse idler gear and the tailshaft housing. Not an easy project for them. When I first started calling around for countershaft shims for this thing, you could hear the frustration in the voices of the different places I was checking with.
Originally Posted by baggins
Has this been road tested yet?
I purchased westtexasbuff's TR6060 conversion. The plan is to put it in my 30th TA that I'm building. However, after reading Johnathan's post, Im debating weather or not to use it. I'm shooting for +1000rwhp and need to be 100% sure that it will hold without issues. In the meantime, here are some pics of my car ...
Attached Thumbnails 2010 SS TR6060 into 4th Gen FBody (PICS)-img_1906-1-.jpg   2010 SS TR6060 into 4th Gen FBody (PICS)-img_1631-1-.jpg   2010 SS TR6060 into 4th Gen FBody (PICS)-20150212_224807-1-.jpg  

Quick Reply: 2010 SS TR6060 into 4th Gen FBody (PICS)