Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

factory hurst shifter knob stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default factory hurst shifter **** stuck on

The factory hurst **** will not budge loose. I tried to guerilla grip it off so did my buddies do I have to cut it off its in excellent condition?
Old 11-15-2011, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

This may be obvious but did you try twisting counter clockwise? Maybe the previous owner cross threaded the **** on there or something, leverage is key. Put some vise grips or something on there with a towel to protect the ****. The bigger/longer the vice grips/pliers the better chance you have of breaking it free. If its in excellent condition I would consider leaving it on there. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Blk98ls1
This may be obvious but did you try twisting counter clockwise? Maybe the previous owner cross threaded the **** on there or something, leverage is key. Put some vise grips or something on there with a towel to protect the ****. The bigger/longer the vice grips/pliers the better chance you have of breaking it free. If its in excellent condition I would consider leaving it on there. Good luck.
I put it on brand new about two months ago and it was not stripped or anything went on with ease now its stuck oh well I have no reason to take it off at this point anyways thank you for your response
Old 11-16-2011, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

that really sucks! I would try a heat gun on the **** and see if that will help release it. Otherwise, it's just grunt like hell or cut it off. You could also remove the stick and put it in a vice where it's easier to work on.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:26 AM
On The Tree

Yeah it does suck my car hates me it always makes the most simple tasks difficult for me FML. When I need it off I am take a grinder to it
Old 11-17-2011, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would at least try a strap wrench before cutting it off. Might be able to get it off with out any damage.

Quick Reply: factory hurst shifter knob stuck on