Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Very Odd T56 Issue..

Old 12-03-2011, 09:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very Odd T56 Issue..

OK so trans shifts perfect.. no grinds, no noise, no nothing.. originally pulled trans b/c it was leaking, pulled it out and resealed it.. noticed that input had rounded off the inside of my slave, got a new slave.. through it in.. and it totally busted the slave after two days..

1st slave

keep in mind, car shifted fine with that slave..

2nd slave

ok, so after this happened obviously the t56 came out again.. I noticed when the slave is bolted up that the input shaft isnt shimmed right or something b/c the slave is sitting on it almost.. and there seems to be more than the allowed endplay (side to side) there is no back and forth endplay. So I got a PM asking me to measure my input shaft from the faceplate to the end of the input.. and they said if its 5.5" then its an LT1 input, if its an LS1 input its 6.6" (chime in if thats wrong). Well I measure and sure enough, its 5.5" so my question is there is no way this possible? if its was 1.1" shorter it would not even touch the pilot bearing? if so could the car even move..? wouldnt it have massive vibration (which it didnt)? I dont understand..
Old 12-04-2011, 10:38 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

An LT1 input won't be fully assembled when installed with all other parts LS_ because it won't reach the pilot bushing/bearing.

So the input has been flopping around and now the bearings probably need replaced.

edit: Looking at your pics in your mid October thread, it's pretty obvious that's what parts you had.

Last edited by jmd; 12-04-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
An LT1 input won't be fully assembled when installed with all other parts LS_ because it won't reach the pilot bushing/bearing.

So the input has been flopping around and now the bearings probably need replaced.

edit: Looking at your pics in your mid October thread, it's pretty obvious that's what parts you had.
bearings looks ok, lomatta is gonna rebuild it but your not answering a single question.. if the car has an LT1 input and wasnt touching the pilot.. it would be awful vibration.. which there isnt.. it shifted amazing before i pulled the first and second time..
Old 12-04-2011, 02:30 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

I skipped the vibration and driveability questions.

You have both answers staring at you from your workbench.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
I skipped the vibration and driveability questions.

You have both answers staring at you from your workbench.
ok well your input isnt very helpful if you cant answer my it shifts and runs perfectly.. ill just wait to talk to D/D on Monday, thanks.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

Ok well I went and did some measurements..

so did someone did someone just throw an LT1 trans into the LS1 with an LS1 T56 bellhousing? will the clutch work with either input shaft? ie does an LT1 and LS1 input shaft have the same splines...? do I have to swap out faceplates or can I just buy an LS1 Input shaft and throw it in and thus make up for the 1" difference of it not going into the pilot? any LT1/LS1 T56 experts please chime in. what is needed to make this right.. can I just get a bellhousing to fix this? if i do that will that 1" move forward render my driveshaft useless?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stephen4036
did someone just throw an LT1 trans into the LS1 with an LS1 T56 bellhousing? will the clutch work with either input shaft? ie does an LT1 and LS1 input shaft have the same splines...? do I have to swap out faceplates or can I just buy an LS1 Input shaft and throw it in and thus make up for the 1" difference of it not going into the pilot? any LT1/LS1 T56 experts please chime in. what is needed to make this right.. can I just get a bellhousing to fix this? if i do that will that 1" move forward render my driveshaft useless?
It appears so. Clutch works with either. You've been VERY lucky it's ran as long as it has..

And insulting Matt when he trying to help you won't win you any friends or help.. D & D might help you or they might not, but they will charge you..

To Fix it correctly... Matt has it right
Old 12-04-2011, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
It appears so. Clutch works with either. You've been VERY lucky it's ran as long as it has..

And insulting Matt when he trying to help you won't win you any friends or help.. D & D might help you or they might not, but they will charge you..

To Fix it correctly... Matt has it right
jake lomatta told me to call them and said he called.. my question is.. do i need a new faceplate.. they look identical..

ive found an LS1 input shaft from a buddy, i know the internals of the main housing are the same. and how does he have it right on how to fix it.. he didnt tell me what parts have to be swapped..
Old 12-04-2011, 10:51 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by stephen4036
jake lomatta told me to call them and said he called.. my question is.. do i need a new faceplate.. they look identical..

ive found an LS1 input shaft from a buddy, i know the internals of the main housing are the same. and how does he have it right on how to fix it.. he didnt tell me what parts have to be swapped..
I took the time to review your prior threads because I remembered you had posted a few about your car's trans. in recent history. Unfortunately, I didn't see your October thread until today, but in another I suggested you tear-down and inspect the bearings back then.

Here's what parts you have:
Originally Posted by jmd
An LT1 input won't be fully assembled when installed with all other parts LS_
You have an LS1 compatible trans., except for the input. So you need that and a bearing shim set to re-shim the trans. However, as I advise any customer of mine, parts needing replaced won't be 100% known until disassembly.

I may not use verbiage you care for but I build a mean T56.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jmd
I took the time to review your prior threads because I remembered you had posted a few about your car's trans. in recent history. Unfortunately, I didn't see your October thread until today, but in another I suggested you tear-down and inspect the bearings back then.

Here's what parts you have:

You have an LS1 compatible trans., except for the input. So you need that and a bearing shim set to re-shim the trans. However, as I advise any customer of mine, parts needing replaced won't be 100% known until disassembly.

I may not use verbiage you care for but I build a mean T56.
sorry to be harsh in my words last time, any response is helpful.. i called D/D and TxMotorsports and they said I have an LS1 faceplate being that it only has a bleeder hole, slave line hole and not any form of a clutch fork groove to it.. that being said.. trans is going off to lomatta to get 3-4 billet keys, guide bolts, and an ls1 input.. i should be all set then (assuming everything inside is good to go).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very Odd T56 Issue..