Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

A few questions about my 02 M6 Z28 -- Possible T56 issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions about my 02 M6 Z28 -- Possible T56 issues?

I would like to know if some of these problems are normal or wear issues. This is my first manual car, so I'm quite a noob driver as well. Car has 105k miles on it.

1) I can pull it out of gear without pressing the clutch if there is no load. If I give it even 20% throttle, I cannot pull it out of gear though.

2)Sometimes after stopping at a red light, I cannot get it into 1st (From say stopping after being in 5th), I will have to put it into 2nd, then into 1st and it'll go right in.

3) Last night I got on it after leaving the house. Rolled into 1st, WOT at ~ 2k rpms, and quickly shifted into 2nd... Rode it out until about 5k rpm, I then let off the gas, pressed the clutch to put it into 5th, and drive like a civilized person, but when I pressed the clutch in and took it out of gear (from 2nd ~5k rpm) i heard kind of a bang/boom -- Maybe like the clutch was sticking or something??

The current clutch has ~ 5k miles on it, was replaced in 2007 though. I believe I replaced it with the LS3 clutch/flex plate??? I believe that's what the board was recommending at the time in 2007.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigB02Z28
I would like to know if some of these problems are normal or wear issues. This is my first manual car, so I'm quite a noob driver as well. Car has 105k miles on it.

1) I can pull it out of gear without pressing the clutch if there is no load. If I give it even 20% throttle, I cannot pull it out of gear though.

2)Sometimes after stopping at a red light, I cannot get it into 1st (From say stopping after being in 5th), I will have to put it into 2nd, then into 1st and it'll go right in.

3) Last night I got on it after leaving the house. Rolled into 1st, WOT at ~ 2k rpms, and quickly shifted into 2nd... Rode it out until about 5k rpm, I then let off the gas, pressed the clutch to put it into 5th, and drive like a civilized person, but when I pressed the clutch in and took it out of gear (from 2nd ~5k rpm) i heard kind of a bang/boom -- Maybe like the clutch was sticking or something??

The current clutch has ~ 5k miles on it, was replaced in 2007 though. I believe I replaced it with the LS3 clutch/flex plate??? I believe that's what the board was recommending at the time in 2007.
1. Totally normal and nothing to be concerned with. You can also blip the gas and pop it out of gear but in the interest of longevity, use the clutch like intended.

2. Whenever you cant put it in 1st, put it in neutral and release the clutch pedal for a split second casue this will spin the internal parts and realign things. Quickly try again to put it in first and it will go in fine. This is a minor problem and does not really warrant any action. There is likely some minor wear to the dog teeth on the 1st blocker ring, 1st gear and possibly the blocker ring friction surface. Changing out the fluids might help with this but dont use synthetic. Above all dont force it into 1st, follow the above procedure when this occurs and it will go in 1st every time. If the problem starts happening clockwork, you can decide if it warrants a rebuild but it will not likely casue in other issues in the tranny.

3. No clue. Just drive it until the problem is repeatable.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:57 AM
Teching In

I agree with wrd1972 on 1 and 2, as far as your 3rd question sounds like you may have just had some exhaust rumble or backfire, this happens often to me if I go to high rpms and left off the gas and dont shift right away...NO big deal
Old 12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Thank you for the reply.

2) It's pretty clockwork, I was just curious as to how bad the tranny may be. I am hoping to do my 9" summer of 2012, and the trans Around christmas 2012. Seems like I can still keep my timeline.

3) It only did it once before. I think it may be something with my driving ability, or maybe I did something wrong idk. The car has only seen 10k miles since 2007, but it's now my daily driver.

Edit: 98articss, it was something physical, it kind of felt like the driveline was binding or something. Almost like the trans hit the tunnel, I felt it in my seat/pedal/shifter, almost like i hit something in the road and it hit the underbody. The transmount is new from 2007, but i'll check it out again in January when I do my headers/exhaust. I'll be doing motor mounts/trans mount/torque arm mount again just to be safe.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Recheck the torque arm mount.

Quick Reply: A few questions about my 02 M6 Z28 -- Possible T56 issues?