Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Rust on Mainshaft--What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 09:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rust on Mainshaft--What to do?

Hey Guys,

I am rebuilding my t56 and disassembled the mainshaft tonight to discover some rust on the mainshaft underneath the large tapered bearing that sits above first gear. There are two spots, one larger and one smaller, and there is a ring of rust stain encircling that area of the shaft. The pics below are first of the rusty spots on the mainshaft (first pic is of the entire area, second is a close up of the larger spot), and the third is of the inside of the large tapered bearing. My question is, is this bad enough to have to replace the entire mainshaft and the bearing? Or, can I get away with sanding down the area on the mainshaft and polishing it up? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
Attached Thumbnails Rust on Mainshaft--What to do?-img_3812.jpg   Rust on Mainshaft--What to do?-img_3816.jpg   Rust on Mainshaft--What to do?-img_3820.jpg  
Old 12-13-2011, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Hey Guys,

I am rebuilding my t56 and disassembled the mainshaft tonight to discover some rust on the mainshaft underneath the large tapered bearing that sits above first gear. There are two spots, one larger and one smaller, and there is a ring of rust stain encircling that area of the shaft. The pics below are first of the rusty spots on the mainshaft (first pic is of the entire area, second is a close up of the larger spot), and the third is of the inside of the large tapered bearing. My question is, is this bad enough to have to replace the entire mainshaft and the bearing? Or, can I get away with sanding down the area on the mainshaft and polishing it up? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Scott
Should be fine to wipe down with ATF and reassemble.
Old 12-13-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok, thanks Mike. How about the bearing? Is the inside surface ok enough to reuse?

Anyone else have any input on this? Is this a common problem? It looks like moisture got in there somehow, but this I'm not sure how. Are there any other things to watch for now I know moisture got in the case?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:57 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Most T56's develop rust. Sometimes inside the 5-6 cluster gear. Sometimes there.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is not rust as you may get with water. It is fretting & is caused by torque loading of the journal. As long as you still have a snug press/ fit of the joint, it will be fine. If the joint is loose, get a new gear first , then a new sgaft to correct the fit. This joint needs to be tight.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, calhoon. I think the joint was tight, but I will recheck when it goes back together.

Quick Reply: Rust on Mainshaft--What to do?