Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Those who have done A4-M6 swaps come in

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Those who have done A4-M6 swaps come in

Hi guys I'm still contemplating this swap as a project and i have a small wiring question for those who have already done the swap. The question is about cruise control.

I know the clutch and brake pedal will have to be hooked together in order to have cruise control stop when the pedals are pressed but is there any actual pcm wiring that has to be done in order to make it function after the m6 tune is flashed into the pcm? Or does it simply work without any modification?

Thanks!

ps. my car has tcs if that matters at all
Old 12-23-2011, 11:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im trying to figure out the same thing. i did the swap a couple weeks ago with a t56 engine/trans harness and got it tuned for the m6. i got everything to work but the cruise control, there is no wires underneath the dash to connect to it.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

needs to be wired to the pcm for the m6 along with with the reverse lockout unless u just added a switch
Old 12-23-2011, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

unless you swapped in a m6 harness that has all the plugs and everything you need. i just dont know where to plug it up inside
Old 12-23-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hodge9386
im trying to figure out the same thing. i did the swap a couple weeks ago with a t56 engine/trans harness and got it tuned for the m6. i got everything to work but the cruise control, there is no wires underneath the dash to connect to it.
your situation is a little different than mine because I'm using the original auto harness and just modifying what I need so thats why I don't see any reason the cruise won't function seeing as it has really nothing to do with the tranny. If anyone used their auto harness and has cruise control working please let me know.
Originally Posted by therobman
needs to be ired to the pcm for the m6 along with with the reverse lockout unless u just added a switch
I know how to get reverse lockout to work I can either use the PCM pins or wire it into the brake pedal which is what a lot of people do. Bu rthe cruise is still confusing it looks like most people just extend the wire from the break switch over to the clutch switch but idk?
Old 12-23-2011, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by redbird555
Bu rthe cruise is still confusing it looks like most people just extend the wire from the break switch over to the clutch switch but idk?
IIRC (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), when I was looking at the different circuit diagrams for the cruise control on A4 and M6 that circuit # is the same, implying that's how it's wired from the factory for an A4 or M6. I think the factory manual may have a splice into the clutch switch (I think that's what it was like when I had my manual V6).
Old 12-23-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is just a jumper wire that connects the anticipation switches on both the clutch and brake into the same plug that is currently on the brake in an a4
Old 12-23-2011, 06:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Ok, cool so basically if I want the cruise to work on an m6 just like it doesnt on my a4 i would simply extend the wire from the brake interupt switch over to the clutch switch? The actual wiring circuit to control the cruise control doesnt need to be touched?
Old 12-24-2011, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

GM was actually smart on this one. The interior wiring for the cruise cancel circuit is exactly the same for both cars, except for a small jumper harness that can easily be swapped out. On A4 cars, this jumper goes to just the brake pedal. On an M6 car, it goes to both the clutch and brake pedal, wired in series.

Here's the original A4 harness:

I simply used another A4 harness, cut it up, and wired up my own jumper harness. Works like stock:
Old 01-09-2012, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

I went from A4 to M6, did not mod the wiring and my cruise works except that it will not cut off with the brake or clutch, I have to turn if off at the turn signal switch.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

please pm me on this. i have a A4 harness from a 98 ls1 car and need to know what needs to be done to make the harness work for the m6. please get back to me. thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 07:55 PM
On The Tree

I did not complete my swap yet but when i installed a pedals i just bought an idential (smaller of the 2) switches and wired the 2 in a series to where whenever either one is broke/grounded out (cant remember how the polarity works exactly), the cruise will cancel. I did tap my pcm with i believe 5? Wires...and one of them was for the cruise control. I will go look at my car tomorrow and let you know what pin it is and where i ran it tomorrow...also if i can find the thread i read it on...
Old 02-02-2012, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spartan7
GM was actually smart on this one. The interior wiring for the cruise cancel circuit is exactly the same for both cars, except for a small jumper harness that can easily be swapped out. On A4 cars, this jumper goes to just the brake pedal. On an M6 car, it goes to both the clutch and brake pedal, wired in series.

Here's the original A4 harness:

I simply used another A4 harness, cut it up, and wired up my own jumper harness. Works like stock:
Just wondering i hope you didnt connect pink and pink to pink and black and black to black. Eif you did, even when one switch cuts the circuit...the other will still give it power. But im sure you wired this up the right way correct?
Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by futuref-body
Just wondering i hope you didnt connect pink and pink to pink and black and black to black. Eif you did, even when one switch cuts the circuit...the other will still give it power. But im sure you wired this up the right way correct?

I know mine works right. I've tested it.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spartan7

I know mine works right. I've tested it.
Exactly. Just trying to chime in, you know some people with wiring..... And i looked at my wire i had to tap for cruise control, didnt look at which pin but it has to be connected to a ground for the cruise to work.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

my cruise works fine, havnt taken the time to extend it over to the clutch pedal.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Hey all, well i'm finally getting around to doing all of this. I have a set of m6 pedals and sensors from a donor car I'm not sure of the year but all 93-02 is the same as far as I know. However in all of y'alls diagram I see there should be a 2 wire plug in on the brake pedal which these and my auto pedals have. IAnd to the best of my knowing the clutch should have a duplicate switch on it with the exact same plug. Well on my set (top of the pic) the switch that is on the clutch pedal has 4 different wires coming off of it and I don't know what any of them do for the cruise control. So my question is this, have you all seen that plug before when doing your swaps and what did you do about it?

I know that the harness just needs to be piggy backed from the brake pedal to the clutch pedal so I was thinking of juts taking the one off of my auto brake pedals and putting it in its place but I'm not sure????

Old 03-29-2012, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I have the same switch on my clutch pedal. I don't know what to do with it, either. Bump for some help!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Veteran

what i'm really thinking about doing is just taking the other brake cruise switch off my auto pedals and then hooking that up in series with the existing one on the manual brakes.... it should still work the same but I'd like one of these guys who has done it to chime in
Old 03-30-2012, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

I didnt do it myself, but the guy who did modified the harness a bit and made me get a couple of pcm pins from the dealer to wire it the right way. Everything is like its suppose to be stock, cruise control, break lights, reverse lockout, everything is perfect. Ill ask him tomorrow, see if he can give me more details.

Oh and frost did a great job tuning it over my pcm to 6 speed if anyone is interested in that.

Quick Reply: Those who have done A4-M6 swaps come in