Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stupid Question on Trans Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stupid Question on Trans Install

So I have my whole motor out on the k-member and have the trans off. I went to put it back on yesterday and when i got to the point of actually bolting the trans up to the bellhousing, i couldnt get it to go in. It looks like the input shaft will go through the splines on the clutch but its hitting the pilot bearing at the wrong angle. I know this because after I took it back off one of the needles was sticking up a bit.
I put a new pilot in (tapered side towards the motor, which is apparently the wrong way, but it looks like it doesnt matter) and dont want to mess it up trying to get the input shaft in.

Is there any tips or tricks to getting it back in? Or do I need to pull everything back off and put a new pilot in the right way? It should be easier with the motor out of the car and not on a lift like most do so I didnt expect this to be the one thing so far to give me problems.

Any help or ideas appreciated? Thanks
Old 12-27-2011, 03:24 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Insert a plastic clutch alignment tool or an old input (better) to line up the disc hub spline to the pilot.

You may need to loosen the pressure plate bolts for things to align. You you want them loose enough that the disc hub can move around with the tool inserted.

When the tool is in the disc hub spline and the pilot, wiggle it fully up and down.

Stop it about 1/2 to 5/8 upwards and tighten the pressure plate bolts. The tool should at this point slip pretty easily in and out just like you want the input to be able to do.
Old 12-27-2011, 03:33 PM
Launching!

Ok maybe thats where I messed up. I put the tool through the clutch disk and into the pilot and then put the pressure plate on and torques it down. Ill try that when I get off work tonight. Should I be ok with the pilot bearing in the way it is or no?
Old 12-27-2011, 05:35 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by strokerrace
I put a new pilot in (tapered side towards the motor, which is apparently the wrong way, but it looks like it doesnt matter) and dont want to mess it up trying to get the input shaft in.

Is there any tips or tricks to getting it back in? Or do I need to pull everything back off and put a new pilot in the right way?
LS inputs have a tendency to not quite be into the pilot deep enough; it'll be fine since that puts the rollers farther out.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:09 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help. After double checking it I noticed that the tool wasnt not lined up with the pressure plate causing it to be a little off. Centered it good and trans slid right in!
Old 12-27-2011, 10:47 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Right on. Fire it up!

Quick Reply: Stupid Question on Trans Install