Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

MityVac sticking cluth

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MityVac sticking cluth

Hey guys, so I just recently purchased a MityVac and used it on my clutch to fix the "softness" in the first inch and half of travel. Well it fixed my problem and did an amazing job, however on the first couple times you press the clutch the next day (( First time driving )) there was still a little bit of softness so being the hardheaded individual that I am I decided to use the MityVac again and try to get every single last air bubble out.

Well, this morning in an attempt to get the last bit of air bubbles out the suction popped out of the hole for the master cylinder reservoir and now my clutch pedal went back to having the softness for the first inch and a half of travel and now it also sometimes sticks halfway and doesn't come back up without me pulling on it.... Could more air of gotten in when it popped off? Any help would be great!

Last edited by SHKNBKE; 01-08-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Teching In

So I did a little experiment, if I have the MityVac in the Master Cylinder reservoir and have it at around 10-12Hg the pedal will stick and not come up all the way, however if you take the MityVac off and pump the clutch a few times it will return normally, but will still have the inch and a half of soft travel. Any help would be great! Should I keep trying the MityVac or should I take it to a shop to have them do the traditional bleeding? I have not had luck with the traditational bleeding, I could never get the socket to get ahold of the screw.

Or would it be a more expensive fix and the slave might of just gone bad? Please help me!
Old 01-12-2012, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 161 Likes on 140 Posts

I rented (for free) a Mityvac clone from Advance Auto Part today. Even though I had already bled the brand new slave and clutch master cylinder with my Monster remote bleeder hose yesterday, the clutch seemed to engage with the pedal very close to the floor. I figured that I'd give the Mityvac method a try.

I experienced the same thing as you; with the Mityvac hooked up and pulling a vacuum, the clutch pedal will go to the floor and stick. You just have to pull it back up by hand and keep pumping the pedal to try to dislodge any air bubbles. After you're done and you disconnect the Mityvac, pump the pedal by hand a few times and the clutch pedal will come back. I think I read that this pedal pumping "fills the actuator." Whatever it does, it works and the pedal comes back.

I don't know why you have the 1 1/2" of soft travel. Mine feels just like when it was completely stock. However, the clutch is still engaging kinda close to the floor when I let out on the clutch pedal . As long as I can get into all gears smoothly and effortlessly, I guess I'll live with it. Good luck and let us know what happens.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 AM
Teching In

I experience the same thing when using the mityvac... I will be swapping in a new clutch, master, and slave this weekend though, hopefully this fixes my tranny issues!
Old 01-13-2012, 09:54 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The mityvac pulling from the reservoir means it ultimately pulls from the bottom of the slave and never pulls all air. Search for jmd method if you want all air out.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Vacuum should be applied to the bleeder on the slave and the reservoir when using a mighty-vac. If you get good pedal, only to have issues with pedal softness again then you may have an issue with bleed by internally. If the seals in the slave or master are leaking fluid within the assembly they can re-introduce air to the system (without ever allowing fluid out of the cylinder where you can see it). This means that you may need a new slave or master.

Quick Reply: MityVac sticking cluth