Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Calling all T56 Rebuild Companies!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calling all T56 Rebuild Companies!

So here is the setup. my 2000 M6 has 145k on it. I bought it at 140k so I am not sure how hard the previous owner was on it. Normal shifting is fine, no issues. If I start doing high RPM shifting the clutch pedal wants to stick and I have to slam it into gear. After I am done getting on it and am coasting down, it does not want to go into ANY gear, AT ALL for about 30 seconds. I have dropped the transmission out while installing my new Monster Stage 2 clutch with slave cylinder. I have also installed a Tick Adjustable Master Cylinder while the tranny has been out.

The gears do not grind, nor has it popped out of gear or made any noises. I would like to think my synchros are bad and that is about all. I have been planning on taking it to a guy that comes highly recommended on our local forums. He quoted me $1100 for bearings, synchro rings, billit shift keys, 1-2 and 3-4 synchro assembly and upgraded 3-4 shift fork plus bronze shift pads. That price includes his $350 labor charge. I was wanting to see what other prices were out there and what other companies thought I should need replaced I think he offered a good deal IMO, but it doesn't hurt to shop around.

By the way, I have a 5.7 with Hooker LT headers + ORY pipe, upgraded MSD plug wires, 4.11 gears.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WVws6
I was wanting to see what other prices were out there and what other companies thought I should need replaced
Just telling you from experience, there's no way to tell until you have the trans apart what you will be replacing. I have heard many say, and have experienced the same on my rebuild, that there's often more wrong than you think. It's almost never "just a synchro," especially with that mileage...
Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 PM
Teching In

Contact Tick, TDP, and RPM. They will give you rough quotes but you can't go wrong with any shop. Shipping is affordable as well. I sent mine down to TDP from Canada and had no problems.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:18 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Macs98Z
Just telling you from experience, there's no way to tell until you have the trans apart what you will be replacing. I have heard many say, and have experienced the same on my rebuild, that there's often more wrong than you think. It's almost never "just a synchro," especially with that mileage...
That is exactly right. The only way to know is to tear down the trans. We start our Stg2 build at $680 parts/labor, but that only includes the items that MUST be replaced on each and every build. That includes 275 labor, and 405 for the following parts: 4140 chromoly billet 3-4 keys, steel 3-4 fork, all new syncro rings, keys, springs, fork pads & seals. The syncro assemblies are not necessarily "wear items", as they will typically only receive residual damage due to other problems (like worn out syncro rings, for example). Also, the mainshaft is really bad about excessive wear on the 5/6 journals, so we get it custom-machined to achieve a very tight press-fit of the 5/6 gear cluster (driven gear). This is less than half the cost of a new mainshaft and is a better design. I would expect to spend $1000 give or take a few hundred. The price that your local guy gave you is a fair one, btw. Hope this helps!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:08 AM
TECH Apprentice

Location: Fairfax County, VA (You know you're here when you see the bad roads)

If you have the means to do it yourself, rebuilding a transmission really isnt that bad with the right tools

Quick Reply: Calling all T56 Rebuild Companies!