Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Getting Serious about this A4 to m6 swap... final questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting Serious about this A4 to m6 swap... final questions

found a friend with a totalled f body, hes willling to sell me EVERYTHING for my m6 swap. including a hurst short throw

I am going to have a shop perform the swap.

what info can you tell me on the re tune? where to get it/ what it entails.

Also what would be a normal price to pay him, the tranny was rebuilt 30000 miles ago, now has 70000 miles on it.

My A4 has 36000 miles on it, how much money could i fetc if i sold my A4?

thank you much!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm pretty much dead set on doing this swap also but I'm going to wait for the summer time when I have some more cash available. However in your case things are a bit different seeing as I'll be doing the swap myself. Idk how much you were planning on paying your friend for the swap "kit" but usually a complete working t56 with clutch, pedals, and hydraulics goes for around 1500 on here.... Also I would expect a shop to probably charge around 1k-1500 to actually swap everything out but then again each place in the country is different with pricing. If you're somewhat mechanically inclined most of the stuff is just a swap over, with just 2 holes being drilled and some minor wiring it is rather backbreaking, lifting the two trannies and can be somewhat tedious getting everything lined up but it's worth it to me if I save a thousand bucks lol.

As far as the tune goes any shop or tuner should be able to do it. The m6 tune has different idle and drive rpm settings as well as the speedo calibration is different with an m6. However the car will drive on the a4 tune should you have to go somewhere to get it tuned.

Also I hate to break it to you but your a4 stuff really isnt worth a whole lot. With your a4, pedals, console, and other small things I think you would have a fair deal with selling everything for just under $1k
Old 01-16-2012, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm in the middle of this swap right now. I just traded a guy everything for his, with a little cash on his part because my trans was built.

Originally Posted by WindyCitySuperSport
what info can you tell me on the re tune? where to get it/ what it entails.
If you know someone with LS1edit or another software program, you could get them to load an M6 file into the computer (you would have to get someone to send you an M6 file if you don't have it already). Another option (and the one I'm going with) is a mail order tune from someone like Frost.

Also what would be a normal price to pay him, the tranny was rebuilt 30000 miles ago, now has 70000 miles on it.
If I were you, I would talk to him about it, search around on the classifieds here and see what the average cost is for a complete swap of comparable mileage/build, and go from there.

My A4 has 36000 miles on it, how much money could i fetc if i sold my A4?
Like said already, there isn't much money to be had from an A4 that hasn't been built. Search around here and see what you can find.
Old 01-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks a lot guys, im also waiting until summer, its sitting in the. Garage til then. Also i have a flashpaq tuner, would that tuner mess with my m6 tune when i eventually get it? Cam and dyno tune later this year also IF this m6 swap happens
Old 01-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Staging Lane

VERY helpful redbird thank you also i think ill just keep my A4. Im going to have to find a bigger shelf!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks a lot guys, im also waiting until summer, its sitting in the. Garage til then. Also i have a flashpaq tuner, would that tuner mess with my m6 tune when i eventually get it? Cam and dyno tune later this year also IF this m6 swap happens
Ah man get rid of that flashpaq tuner lol. those handheld tuners really dont do anything except add timing and some other things to your pcm. It's much cheaper, safer and beneficial hp wise to get a mail order tune from frost or whoever if you dont want to pay the cash for a dyno tune. But to answer your question no it shouldnt as long as whoever rewrites the pcm for the m6 doesnt change any engine settings for fueling or timing.
VERY helpful redbird thank you also i think ill just keep my A4. Im going to have to find a bigger shelf!
Ya man I think I'll end up selling mine being I dont have room to store it and by the time I'm done doing the swap you will never be able to tell the car was an auto without looking at the rpo codes.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
Ah man get rid of that flashpaq tuner lol. those handheld tuners really dont do anything except add timing and some other things to your pcm. It's much cheaper, safer and beneficial hp wise to get a mail order tune from frost or whoever if you dont want to pay the cash for a dyno tune. But to answer your question no it shouldnt as long as whoever rewrites the pcm for the m6 doesnt change any engine settings for fueling or timing.

Ya man I think I'll end up selling mine being I dont have room to store it and by the time I'm done doing the swap you will never be able to tell the car was an auto without looking at the rpo codes.
ya, i only got the flashpaq to cahnge my shift points and shift firmness... wanted a few features of a stick shift ahha.

Could I go as far as to order a tune of the m6 codes AS WELL as a performance tune?

Im looking at a 4k budget when the snow melts. even though its not even paid off, but that can wait
Old 01-17-2012, 07:16 PM
TECH Veteran

yes you can just give frost a shout on here and tell him whats going on along with your mods, mail him your pcm and in about 5 days you'll have it back ready to go/
Old 01-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by redbird555
yes you can just give frost a shout on here and tell him whats going on along with your mods, mail him your pcm and in about 5 days you'll have it back ready to go/
awesome.
screw dyno tuning.. so outrageous.
The manual that im salvaging is from a t boned trans am, not worried about the tranny being messed up from it though.

sorry to impede but what do you know about frosts tunes? is it comparable to a dyno tune?
Old 01-19-2012, 12:21 AM
On The Tree

Frost did my A4 to M6 tune and everything turned out great. Can't go wrong with Frost!
Old 01-19-2012, 11:45 AM
TECH Veteran

awesome.
screw dyno tuning.. so outrageous.
The manual that im salvaging is from a t boned trans am, not worried about the tranny being messed up from it though.

sorry to impede but what do you know about frosts tunes? is it comparable to a dyno tune?
I have had a frost tune in the past and yes it is a good tune. However a mail order tune will ever be perfect will it get you within 10-15hp of your best? probably yes. but a dyno tune will get the most out of your car because it is a custom tune for your setup and every engine is a tad different

Quick Reply: Getting Serious about this A4 to m6 swap... final questions