Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trouble going into gear. hydaulic issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trouble going into gear. hydaulic issue?

Hey guys, i just bought a 99 z and its supposed to have a new spec clutch. I was told it and the motor have 2k miles on them. I drove it 257 miles home everything worked fine. But now when I get down on it hard and go through a couple gears it gets very hard to get into any gear for a couple minutes. Then I started it this morning and let it warm to about 150* and got in and it did not want to go into any gear. It seems to be getting worse and at lunch I took a for a ride and got down on it through 2nd and into 3rd and it didn't want to go into any gear again. Going through the drivethrough the clutch seemed to be dragging some, as with the clutch fully depressed it tried to roll forward just a little. And sometimes after a shift the clutch pedal doesn't come all the way back out. Seeing as the clutch has never slipped and is new I assume its a hydraulic issue? Would it be the slave or m/c?
Thanks in advance! -Josh
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 PM
On The Tree

First thing I'd do is bleed the clutch and see if that helps
Old 01-20-2012, 01:30 AM
Staging Lane

Having the same issue here. Flushed out dot 3 and replaced with dot 4, replaced master cylinder and new steel braided line w/ mod. Bled the hell out of it manually, and with mity vac, Now its getting worse and i have to pump it to shift. Have you tried pumping between gears to see if that helps? If so I think our next move is the slave...
Old 01-20-2012, 06:42 AM
11 Second Club

I'll bleed it before doing anything for sure! From what I've read it seems to be leaning towards the slave. Which is ok my buddy has a new one laying in his shop. It does seem to help when I pump it between gears but sometimes it doesn't have any problems at all, it will shift fine. Then other times if you get down on it, it doesn't want to go at all. Tomorrow we are going to put it on the lift and see what we can find. We will start with bleeding. I'll post what happens for sure. Any other input is welcomed!
Old 01-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Teching In

Hey.. I have an LS swap in my Chevelle and am having the same issue when getting on it by the time I get to 3rd or 4th the pedal seems dead and wont go into gear... I am using stock style master from f-body and slave.. with braided line... let me know what you find... My car is put away for winter and not very accessible to work on right now but that is the first thing I will be addressing in spring.. THANK-YOU for any info/help on this matter
Old 01-22-2012, 09:09 PM
11 Second Club

Just an update. We changed the master cylinder to a new stock replacement (it was free, tick at a later date), and done the line mod and it still didn't want to go into gear after hard shifting. Changed slave and thoroughly bled and my pedal got much much better feel to it but still wouldn't shift after hard driving. While changing the slave I noticed it had a stock clutch in it, not a spec with 2k miles as i was told. The pressure plate looked very worn but the clutch has never slipped. A buddy who has had mulitple t56 cars said its time for a clutch, the pressure plate is weak and not letting it disengage all the way when hot. I think thats how he worded it. So looks like it will get a new spec this go round.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Staging Lane

Good to know. Im sure mine is stock too... I was considering the ls7 kit that offered here but ws6store.com has the spec for like 260.00... Tough to decide. ls7 comes with flywheel... Keep me posted on what you did to fix it..

Quick Reply: trouble going into gear. hydaulic issue?