Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New tick master same old problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 08:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New tick master same old problem...

So i finally after 3 years of dealing with a sloppy clutch after a few high rpm shifts that it was time to make it right. So I decided to spend the money and get a real master cylinder and got the tick.

I installed it this afternoon in just 2 hours by myself, mighty vac'd then traditionally bled the clutch till I damn near used my entire quart of brake fluid. Nice firm, and suprisingly short clutch travel.

Onto the adjustment, I first started the car as is and pushed it into first gear, no problem. Put the rear on jackstands, repeated process and spun the motor to high rpm to check for wheel spin. I would get a TINY bit of wheel movement up near 6k rpms no matter how much I adjusted the clutch. Something I noticed though which I can't imagine being normal is if I start in neutral, depress the clutch and put it in 1st gear, the tires spin while the transmission sychronizes, wtf!

Took the car for a spin anyway after this and ran it through a few gears, and it will shift at high rpm and I can shift quickly, but as soon as I stop the run and push in the clutch it's very stiff, then push it again and it's half mushy.

So what's the deal, slave, clutch?

It has a 10k mile ls6 clutch and slave was apparently replaced at same time (this was done before I owned the car) and fwiw the car has had 2 bottle through it and not much racing, but the clutch has never slipped and always grabs hard.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man sorry to hear that,but im going thru the same problem i replaced EVERYTHING and used a ls6 clutch and was fine for a little while and now once its heated up around 6k i lose my pedal . im thinking the pressure plate just cant handle the abuse and loses tension try another clutch i have one on order. in one of the write ups about this they mention different parts to blame on a case by case basis so maybe we are the ones that have the pressure plate issue.