Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

wont shift into gear when running

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default wont shift into gear when running

new clutch, resurfaced flywheel and new slave cylinder. car goes into gear when not on but when you turn the motor on it will not go into gear. if you push the clutch in and try to put it into a gear the car will not go into gear but will lurch forward a tiny bit as if it wants to drive away. does this mean i need to shim the slave?
**** me
Old 02-06-2012, 09:45 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the clutch isn't releasing at all. Since the flywheel was surfaced I would recommend a slave shim. Befor you tear it all apart I would give the system another really good bleed and if that doesn't work then tear it down and install a shim.

Good luck.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

last time i tried to gravity bleed the system. this time i did the mighty vac on the master cylinder method for 40 minutes and still wont go into gear. in fact when the car isnt on i have to mash it in order to get it into gear. the clutch pedal comes all the way up and feels like it should
Old 02-06-2012, 01:50 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a good idea to measure for a shim during an install, but a shim isn't going to remedy your issue. When everything is assembled, the throw out bearing is pressed up against the pressure plate due to the spring that sits between the tob and the slave. Once assembled, there is no gap to be maintained by a shim, a shim is just a method to keep the slave operating within its range of motion.

If the clutch feels firm and as it should in terms of pedal effort it is likely that you have a clutch issue. What type of clutch do you have?

Your problem could be a warped clutch disk or even a disk that was manufactured to thick. It could also be a faulty pressure plate. This is assuming that your hydraulics are working as you describe and everything is bled properly.

Even if you damaged the pilot bearing during install, it could be binding on the tip of the input which would cause the input to continue to turn even though the clutch was disengaged properly....
Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
It is a good idea to measure for a shim during an install, but a shim isn't going to remedy your issue. When everything is assembled, the throw out bearing is pressed up against the pressure plate due to the spring that sits between the tob and the slave. Once assembled, there is no gap to be maintained by a shim, a shim is just a method to keep the slave operating within its range of motion.

If the clutch feels firm and as it should in terms of pedal effort it is likely that you have a clutch issue. What type of clutch do you have?

Your problem could be a warped clutch disk or even a disk that was manufactured to thick. It could also be a faulty pressure plate. This is assuming that your hydraulics are working as you describe and everything is bled properly.

Even if you damaged the pilot bearing during install, it could be binding on the tip of the input which would cause the input to continue to turn even though the clutch was disengaged properly....
the clutch is a cheap Brute Power Clutch and pressure plate. the clutch came with a needle pilot bearing and thats what i installed. when I removed the original pilot bearing (or bushing couldn't tell) from the crank it was way fucked up and rounded out. the ID on the pilot i removed is .809", huge hole. the input shaft was grooved and tore up a bit so i hit it with some emry cloth to smooth down the ridges. before i installed the new pilot bearing i put it on the input shaft tip and it seemed to fit ok, just a tiny bit of wiggle room

Quick Reply: wont shift into gear when running