Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CANNOT get trans out - will move 1-2 inches back then stop

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 10:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default CANNOT get trans out - will move 1-2 inches back then stop

As the title suggest I cannot get the trans to come all the way out. I appreciate the obligatory questions such as, "Are all 8 bolts out?", "is the drive shaft out?" and I can assure you this is around my 6th t-56 to pull.

The trans is coming out to chase down a terrible noise that has been nailed down to a Pilot bearing or either a internal bearing. A monster stage III is installed and unfortunately I didn't do the install so I don't know how hard it went in.

I can see the input shaft slide out of the friction disc then it stops abruptly as if something is stuck to the end of the input shaft; I think the problem is/was the pilot bearing. Let me assure you that we have spend every thing we can attempting to pry/wiggle/align and so on to get it out. As soon as I saw it start to flex the friction disc I knew I wasn't going to get it out without breaking the disc and I'm not replacing that.

The big question is, Can I remove the bell housing bolts, slide the bell housing back and get to the pressure plate bolts to unbolt the entire clutch? That looks to be my only option at this point.

Thanks for the help, it is much needed after fighting that trans for the last three hours.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theoretically, yes. But if you can only move the trans back 1-2 inches I'm not sure you'd be able to reach the bolts to remove the pressure plate with the bellhousing only moved 1-2 inches as well.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:55 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If he can't reach the pressure plate bolts from the side, he might be able to move the bellhousing sideways enough to get to them from the transmission side. That'd be a huge pain in the *** though! I'd call Monster to see if they'd sell you just a friction disc
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well I havent worked on the car today as it is valentines day and I need to spend some time with the fiancee. The car isnt my car but rather a friend of a friends that Im helping out. He has been in contact with a local rebuilder and were all in theory that the imput shaft has the pilot bearing or parts of it welded to it. Im gonna try to get the rest of the bellhousing and clutch out tomorrow. Ill let everyone know and try to post a few pics for the future. I dont know how many other people have had this problem but a search of multiple keywords resulted in one semi related problem.

I know the owner of the car had drove it for a while since the noise started, how long is that? I really dont know but I think it was about a month. I would strongly that anyone who hears ANY noise pull the trans as soon as you can to prevent this - it isnt fun!!!!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update - I was able to get the bellhousing loose and pushed back enough to get access to the pressure plate bolts thru the starter pocket. I only took one bolt out as it is a slow process and plan on purchasing a 1/2" swivel head ratcheting wrench tomorrow to finish the rest of the bolts. Ill try to get pictures up.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Most definitely keep us posted. Hopefully it didn't kill the input shaft...
Old 02-17-2012, 04:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the trans out last night and found the pilot bearing frozen onto the imput shaft and spinning inside the crank. The owner of the car took the trans to a local mustang shop that also specialize in t-56. The bearing did "weld" itself to the shaft a new shaft is required. He is gonna have it rebuilt with a TICK rebuild kit (bearings, syncros, blockers, etc. The shop isnt a sponsor on here but if you want to pm me Ill give you the info. Super good guy and real low prices for stock rebuilds.

I can tell you that it was a real pain in the *** to take out the way it had to come out so if you start to hear any noise sounding like a bearing noise when in gear and clutch in I would pull the trans right away.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

I'd be more worried about the crankshaft. Hows it look?

Quick Reply: CANNOT get trans out - will move 1-2 inches back then stop