See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Popping out of gear..... Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Popping out of gear..... Need help.

So tonight my car decided to start popping out of every gear anytime I get past about 2000rpm. All the gears are there and the clutch feels normal but once it passes that point it pops out and free revs... Grinding of course... Any ideas as to what happened? Its a stock 01 ss with stock clutch and t56. Any help would be amazing....
Old 02-21-2012, 08:27 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 349 Likes on 319 Posts

When the problem occurs, which gears are you in?
Old 02-21-2012, 09:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is popping out of every gear I would make sure your shifter is tight. If it is tight I would pull the shifter out and check the shifter ball cup in the offset lever. They can crack and fall apart which will allow a lot of free play in the shifter and it will not fully engauge the slider ring onto the engaugement teeth of the gear.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine was doing this in reverse, and then yesterday, while cruising down the freeway, the tranny went. It popped out of 6th, jolted the car, and I got off the road like a bat outta hell. Got it towed to a buddy's shop where he said it moves under its own power but is making noise. He'll let me know manana what's up, but he's thinking it's a bearing back by 6th/R.... Get this looked at ASAP!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:22 PM
Staging Lane

This has happened to me a few times...I shifted into second and accelerating when it popped out and grinded. It's happened about 4 or 5 times since i put in my MGW short throw shifter about 2-3 months ago. I bought the car and immediately put the shifter in, so Im not able to tell if it was my install or something bad from previous use. When it has happened i realized it was because it wouldn't let me put it into second all the way. If it wasn't due to my install, what else could it be?
Old 02-22-2012, 12:52 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Blacked_Out_SS
So tonight my car decided to start popping out of every gear anytime I get past about 2000rpm. All the gears are there and the clutch feels normal but once it passes that point it pops out and free revs... Grinding of course... Any ideas as to what happened? Its a stock 01 ss with stock clutch and t56. Any help would be amazing....
It is hard to tell what may be causing the popping out of gear. Generally if the car is doing it in every gear then it may be as something as the shifter needing to be adjusted. However, if it is doing it in an isolated gear or two then it is most likely to be an internal issue. If indeed it is doing it in specific gears then it could have a cracked blocker which would explain why it is staying in gear at low rpms and popping out after 2000rpm. The blocker could hold until 2000rpm and then it would expand (due to the crack) at the higher rpms not allowing it to hold and popping the car out of gear. That is just one suggestion that it could be, there are a few varies different internal problems that it could be, I would start by checking the shifter first.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 02-22-2012 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks guys... I'm gonna pull my shifter apart and check it out. Hopefully it's something simple.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2000MaroonZ28
This has happened to me a few times...I shifted into second and accelerating when it popped out and grinded. It's happened about 4 or 5 times since i put in my MGW short throw shifter about 2-3 months ago. I bought the car and immediately put the shifter in, so Im not able to tell if it was my install or something bad from previous use. When it has happened i realized it was because it wouldn't let me put it into second all the way. If it wasn't due to my install, what else could it be?
you probably have your shifter stops to tight...
Old 02-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

The MGW shifter doesn't come with shift stops..but I'll take it off this weekend and check it out. My gears also seem to be a lil notchy these past few days. Just wondering if a rebuild is in order, or just a bad clutch. 66,000 miles stock? Possibly thanks for the input.
Old 02-23-2012, 08:09 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2000MaroonZ28
The MGW shifter doesn't come with shift stops..but I'll take it off this weekend and check it out. My gears also seem to be a lil notchy these past few days. Just wondering if a rebuild is in order, or just a bad clutch. 66,000 miles stock? Possibly thanks for the input.
Does yours only happen in second gear?
Old 02-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Teching In

My trans does a similar thing but its only in fourth gear it will go in but it wont stay in when i let the clutch out. when i hold the shifter in really hard the gear will hold. maybe a bent shift fork? The trans only has 40,000 on it so im suprised something went out already.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Teching In

Similar issue here. A few months ago I installed a tick performance master cyl. It would go into every gear smooth and as fast as I could put it there. After about a week (right after adjusting the clutch pedal height , probably too far) it started to grind if I tried to grab 2nd and 5th quick. A few weeks ago after letting it go, tried to hit 2nd quick but it refused to take and just grinded. After a day or so of having to force it OUT of 2nd, now it simply wont take at all. It will slide in/out no problem , on or off the throttle, but as soon as I let the clutch out it grinds and pops into neutral. You cant force it to stay in 2nd. To add to the fun it takes an act of congress to get it in reverse now as well. I have went from the factory hurst, to ebay cheapo , to now mgw with no change. Do to me taking the "words of caution" from tick performance lightly and over adjusting the master cyl. and simply being ignorant by letting this issue go unaddressed. I now face a whole mess of excitment. Repairs begin soon so I will repost with beneficial info hopefully. Until then any heads up or opinions welcome.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:54 AM
Teching In

Fml, figured out my problem !
Old 03-20-2012, 05:46 AM
Staging Lane

My friend has a 2004 Z06 with a similar issue in reverse, bad sychro.....will pop right back out. Rebuild.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:30 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Insano Z28
My friend has a 2004 Z06 with a similar issue in reverse, bad sychro.....will pop right back out. Rebuild.
Could be the case, but could also be alot of other things.... Shift fork could be bent, Fork pads could be destroyed, Blocker rings could be cracked (if popping out of gear), there is a lot of possibilities for the problem. However, I do think there is a rebuild in the future

Here is a list of rebuilds for the 93-02 Fbody:
http://www.tickperformance.com/1993-...camaro-trans-am/
Old 04-16-2012, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've also experienced my 99 Formula popping out of Reverse. The car has 53K on the clock and this issue didn't begin until just after I upgraded to a TICK MC and Monster Level 3. I have, maybe, a couple thousand Highway Miles on the new Clutch/MC Combo.

I completed the install just prior to heading out on last year's (2011) Power Tour. I can recall the car popping out of Reverse at least half a dozen times and me having to keep pressure on the Shifter in order for it to stay in gear. My intentions were to adjust the Stops on the aftermarket Hurst/Billet Shifter once returning home from the trip and see how it acted then. But I didn't get that opportunity due to the driving skills (or lack there of) of some 20 Year-Old in Indiana.

My car received some pretty heavy front end damage, resulting in it being un-driveable. The car WILL be repaired, but to do so will require removal of pretty much the entire drivetrain, including the Tranny.

I'd love to upgrade to a TICK Level 1 or 2 Rebuild, but I'm not exactly made of money, so the Restoration of my Firebird will definitely be confined to a budget. Pretty much, if I don't have to rebuild the Tranny, that's money I can spend to get the car back on the road sooner.

The reason for my post is that I'm wondering if this issue should warrant having the Transmission looked at while I have it out or if there is a more cost effective alternative prior to shipping it off.

I understand I still have the option of adjusting the Shifter Stops, but that would, of course, require getting the car back together and the risk of having to remove Tranny once again if an adjustment doesn't fix the problem.

I'd also like to note that the Hurst/Billet Shifter was installed at least 2 years prior to the Clutch/MC Swap and I don't recall ever having a problem with the car popping out of gear during that time. This is definitely a new issue.

Quick Reply: Popping out of gear..... Need help.