Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you buy?

Im having issues with my ls1 t56. All gears will grind, but only if you shift quickly. If you drive normally, it shifts great. I checked the trans fluid and was about 1 1/2 quarts low. Refilled it and the problem is unchanged.

Ive bled the clutch 5 times now and still nothing has changed. Im not losing fluid and never get any more bubbles out, im pretty sure all air is out.

The clutch throwout bearing is bad (loud!) lots of chattering also. I jacked the rear of the car up and put the car in gear with the clutch in and the wheels never spun, so It seems the clutch is fully disengaging.

Also when driving, if you shift without using the clutch (rev matching the next upshift), shifting to second is smooth, but shifting from 2-3 grinds and 3-4 grinds. Shifting from 4-5 and 5-6 is scratchy, but goes in without to much effort.

Im at a loss and need advice. Im either going to pay to rebuild the trans, or buy the tick master, a new oem slave and a new clutch. I can only afford to do one or the other so im looking for opinions as to what is wrong!

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSam
if you shift without using the clutch
Augh, why would you do this...If it grinds you could be having syncho issues.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Azar_Hawke
Augh, why would you do this...If it grinds you could be having syncho issues.

Last edited by Sales@Tick; 02-29-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by IamSam
Im having issues with my ls1 t56. All gears will grind, but only if you shift quickly. If you drive normally, it shifts great. I checked the trans fluid and was about 1 1/2 quarts low. Refilled it and the problem is unchanged.

Ive bled the clutch 5 times now and still nothing has changed. Im not losing fluid and never get any more bubbles out, im pretty sure all air is out.

The clutch throwout bearing is bad (loud!) lots of chattering also. I jacked the rear of the car up and put the car in gear with the clutch in and the wheels never spun, so It seems the clutch is fully disengaging.

Also when driving, if you shift without using the clutch (rev matching the next upshift), shifting to second is smooth, but shifting from 2-3 grinds and 3-4 grinds. Shifting from 4-5 and 5-6 is scratchy, but goes in without to much effort.

Im at a loss and need advice. Im either going to pay to rebuild the trans, or buy the tick master, a new oem slave and a new clutch. I can only afford to do one or the other so im looking for opinions as to what is wrong!

Thanks!

Sounds like you are going to need a tranny rebuild. Most of the time when it is grinding like that then the engagement teeth on the synchros have been rounded off and it is tough to get it into gear, causing the grinding/scratching noise you are hearing. Messing with the clutch hydraulic system isnt the problem, yours is strictly internal it sounds. How much power does the car make? And how much do you plan to make? Stock clutch, and master?

Here are some links to our site. We have thousands of built T56 trannys out there all over the United States.

TickSHIFT T56

Tick + Monster Complete Package

Quick Reply: What would you buy?