Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Benefits of billet flywheel vs. stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Benefits of billet flywheel vs. stock?

I'm in the process of piecing together a transmission setup, which will be centered around a new T56 Magnum. Most aftermarket places are offering billet flywheels. What is the benefit of a billet flywheel over a stock style flywheel? Jegs offers a stock style for $100 (part number 601260). What do I get if I spend 3x as much on a billet unit?

The car is going to have somewhere around 500RWHP, and I intend to run a quicktime bellhousing. and I'm planning on running a Mcleod RST clutch. I'm not against spending the money for a good flywheel, but I'm also not a fan of pissing money away for no reason. Can some experts chime in and help me understand what's inadequate about a stock style flywheel?
Old 03-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Teching In

From what I understand the billet flywheel has better wear characteristics for more aggressive, non-organic clutch materials (iron, ceramic, etc.).
Old 03-05-2012, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So what I can learn from the overall lack of responses is that everybody buys billet flywheels, but none of them know why. Nice!
Old 03-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Banned

I can tell you one benefit, the threads for the pressure plate on the billet flywheel are far less prone to pull out than what you will see on a cast steel flywheel. I did a clutch job on a Mustang about 3 months ago and the damn pressure plate bolt threads pulled out on 2 of 6. I threw the old flywheel in the garbage and made him buy another one.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thesource
I can tell you one benefit, the threads for the pressure plate on the billet flywheel are far less prone to pull out than what you will see on a cast steel flywheel. I did a clutch job on a Mustang about 3 months ago and the damn pressure plate bolt threads pulled out on 2 of 6. I threw the old flywheel in the garbage and made him buy another one.
What flywheel/clutch do u reccomend for use with a gen4 engine/crank with 98-02 fbody t56?
The gen4 engines have a slightly thicker crank than the gen3 motors.
I thought u may have a preffered assembly
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Regular

From what I know..

They are stronger, they are less prone to warpage because of this. I wouldn't be too sure that those stock cast flywheels from jegs are zero balanced either.. meaning it may need to be balanced with your new clutch.

Also, like my chromoly lightweight flywheel, it came in a kit with my clutch which made it fairly cheap. Which is probably why you don't see a lot of people using high end clutches with stock flywheels.
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NemeSS
What flywheel/clutch do u reccomend for use with a gen4 engine/crank with 98-02 fbody t56?
The gen4 engines have a slightly thicker crank than the gen3 motors.
I thought u may have a preffered assembly
I don't really have a lot of experience with the really late model engine configurations. I don't do much installations any more, I'd say 95% of the work I do now days is mostly transmission bench labor. I did do installations back in the late 90s and early 2000s for about 10 years though so I am pretty familiar with the general configuration.

You would need to talk to the clutch companies like Spec or Monster to get a better answer to your question.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

uhh duh if it has billet in the name its obviously better. does there need to be any other reason? see i dont say i have a pt7675 turbo. i have a billet pt7675 turbo. See the difference? one is normal, the other just sounds sexy. i also have a billet ram flywheel with my rxt. man im flying off the cool charts!

joking aside i chose a billet flywheel because of safety reasons. its sfi certified and i like my feet. Does it mean its better or stronger?? i dunno but i just didnt trust the stock cast flywheel...

Last edited by got-a-ls1; 03-05-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Subscribing to this. I had the same thoughts as the OP.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts

another option is a forged chrome molly fw...I got one from F1 Racing for $225. Has removeable weight for motors that are internal balance..but have it spun by a machine shop to confirm. Mine was off and needed some material removed

Quick Reply: Benefits of billet flywheel vs. stock?