Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Gauging an interest in rebuilding stock hurst shifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Gauging an interest in rebuilding stock hurst shifters

I am tossing around the idea of offering a service to rebuild the stock hurst shifters in our f-bodies. I know a lot of people like the stock hurst because it is quieter than aftermarket units. I took mine out about 8 months ago because it felt loose and would not center itself to neutral. So I took it out to see what the problem was. Come to find out they could have done a better job in putting it together.

The red arrow is the main problem with these shifters getting loose and not centering. The two black pieces are plastic and the pin is steel. So what happens over time, heat/cool, several miles of snatching on it is the plastic works loose of its press fit on the pin and causes the sloppy feel and it also allows the pin to move completely over to one side and it doesn't sit under the centering springs thus no snapping back to neutral.

So I took some epoxy and applied to everywhere I could that would not interfere with its function. It's not pretty but I think it will hold. Everything feels very solid.

I am going to test how it holds up in MY car before offering it. So if anyone is interested please let me know so I can reinstall it in my car. Yes that means I will be removing my pro 5.0 and using the stock hurst with the stock handle just for you guys. Because I drove a car with a properly functioning stock hurst / stock handle and its not that bad of a shifter.

Also if I do rebuild them, I have a sand blasting cabinet and can clean them up and clear coat or paint them black. I also clean all the bolts up and regrease it.

So please give me some feedback and I will go from there.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2012, 11:49 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

If it were just up to me, I would say "go for it." I like the stock Hurst shifter. The base shifter is a sloppy POS and although I certainly haven't tried them all, the aftermarket shifters I have driven have been way too notchy and/or noisy for me.

But most of the guys on here are all about aftermarket shifters. I think most guys would just go aftermarket if their stock Hurst got sloppy on them.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 355 Likes on 324 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by mean_greenZ
I am tossing around the idea of offering a service to rebuild the stock hurst shifters in our f-bodies.
I thought Hurst already offered this service to all of its customers, but it looks like they exclude OEM. http://www.hurst-shifters.com/?page_id=17
Old 03-17-2012, 05:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea their oem service is more than a new aftermarket unit.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Revgto, I agree I like the quietness of the hurst. Also that's the point is to offer another option to those who want to keep their hurst for a much cheaper price than an aftermarket. Nothing is set in stone yet but my initial thought was $75 including shipping.

Quick Reply: Gauging an interest in rebuilding stock hurst shifters