Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bought a used SPEC stage 3+

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought a used SPEC stage 3+

Picked up a '700 mile' spec stage 3+ along with an aluminum flywheel, and a shifter. all three look to have very little wear, so im prone to believe the guy.
So after installing I'm looking for alot more engine revs and faster acceleration from the lighter clutch and i'm just not feeling it. Its even possible that my car is slower. The clutch doesnt grab hard like i expected it to, as i can slip it into gear most of the time just like my stocker it does not slip however on my stock motor at least.
Should i notice more acceleration from the lighter FW?

Also i installed a new slave cyl during this and i am have a monster of a time getting all the air out of the system. (clutch engaging low in the pedal, and impossible to punch the shifter into 3rd like i could with my stock clutch)

Thanks much for any info
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FYI....after 3 SPEC clutches I decided to quick wasting money on them....my Monster drives so much better and yes feels faster because it GRABS unlike any SPEC I ever owned. The lighter flywheel will feel different but it alone will not make you slower, its how the clutch is engaged (or not engaging).
Old 03-20-2012, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Flywheel weight affects inertia and this in turn will affect accelerative feel, especially when leaving from a stopped position. If you were noticing slip then you would see the RPM raise without a gain in speed. Are you seeing this occur? Let me know and I will be happy to assist you with further info. Did you know what the disc thickness is? This would provide info on clutch wear.

Platinum, I hate that you have had issues with our parts. That being said it is worth noting that the OP has purchased a used kit and there is no way to know what kind of condition they are in. We have thousands of customers that love and recommend our parts. If there is anything I can do to assist you let me know.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:32 PM
On The Tree

Default Slip/inertia

I am very positive i have no slip. the clutch grabs just fine, if i pump it a few times . I either have an air issue, or MC issue for that. No idea on the disc thickness, but the grooves were around a 16th deepish. As far as acceleration goes, I feel an all over sluggishness after installing the lighter flywheel.

Quick Reply: Bought a used SPEC stage 3+