Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

CTS-V Second Gear Tug/Bump?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 01:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTS-V Second Gear Tug/Bump?

Hello All,

I have a 2004 CTS-V and I am having an odd issue with second gear on up shifts from first to second only. The issue is intermittent, but occurs about 80% of the time under normal daily driving conditions (not racing). When I shift from first to second I feel a single tug or bump back on the shifter as it locks into second gear. It is not a formal grind and I can always get right into gear, but you get the same feeling through the shifter for a brief moment as you would if it were to be grinding.

My assumption is that the blocker rings are starting to wear out and I need to upgrade them to the newer carbon type in second gear. For reference, I have bled the clutch twice in the past few months and swapped the trans fluid with synchromesh (I wanted to rule out any of the easy things).

Anyone else ever experience anything like this? If so, how did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance for your help
Old 03-23-2012, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

You already have carbon-type blockers in your CTSv. Have you done anything with the shifter linkage/bushings? Did you change to synchromesh because of the problem, or did it start after a fluid change?
Old 03-23-2012, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

I thought they switched to the carbon blockers in ’06? Does not really matter since I have the issue either way. The odd part for me is the fact that downshifting into second gives me no problems, it is only when up shifting.

As far as I can tell from underneath everything looks good and the shifting feels solid into all of the other gears (no slop). I have not done anything with the shifter or bushings yet (all stock as far as I can tell). I changed the fluid out partly because of this issue and partly because I was having issues getting into first when sitting at a light (that issue resolved itself with the flush).

Last edited by MacLEAN; 03-23-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:52 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Carbon began before 2004. 2006 begin a denser carbon blocker material.

With your up-shift only scenario, try rev-matching differently. Outside of that, a refresh of the blockers would be the next step.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

After speaking with Chris at Tick, I think I must have different wear patterns on the opposing faces of the synchro and/or gear. Time for a rebuild. Hopefully pulling the transmission is not too bad. Anyone have an excerpt from the factory service manual?

Quick Reply: CTS-V Second Gear Tug/Bump?