Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch Pedal Sticks Momentarily - *UPDATE- clutch fork issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch Pedal Sticks Momentarily - *UPDATE- clutch fork issue

I just finished installing a new clutch (Spec Stage 2) into my LT1 T56. Clutch seems to drive great, but the clutch pedal feel is off. It seems like it is sticking slightly before coming back up. Its very brief (1/4 or 1/2 a second) but its definitely not right. Any ideas why?

I read some people mentioning needing to bleed clutch hydraulics, but that isn't making any sense. Even if there are air bubbles, I imagine that they would compress/move from the force of the pressure plate springs. I would think that air in the system would result in issues with disengaging the clutch, but I have no problem there.

Thanks in advance guys. I have NEVER had a clutch swap without issues

Last edited by 1quickTransAm; 03-31-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

any guesses? Come on guys, someone has to have an idea...
Old 03-31-2012, 04:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Fixed it. Turns out I'm an idiot and didn't get my clutch fork clips fully over the T-mount so the butt end of the clutch fork was dragging against the housing.

The clutch fork ended up falling fully off the throw-out bearing after 20 miles of driving leaving me stuck. When I pulled the slave cylinder out, I couldn't get the clutch fork back on because the clips were bent badly and wouldn't slide over the T-mount.

I REALLY didn't want to pull my trans again so I made this little "tool" out of sheet metal that would allow me to reach up into the bellhousing past the fingers on the clutch fork clip, then slide the "tool" under the clip fingers and bent them up again so that I could slide the clutch fork back up into place.

Here is where I inserted the tool to bent the clutch fork clips.

The "tool" worked like a charm and allowed me to fix the issue without pulling the trans!

Now that everything is together properly, I gotta say that I LOVE the way this Spec Stage 2 clutch feels! I'm still in the break-in period, but so far this is the best clutch I've ever had hands down.

Quick Reply: Clutch Pedal Sticks Momentarily - *UPDATE- clutch fork issue