Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sticking clutch pedal, need recommendation for slave cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Onyx_Black_Z28
There seems to have been some debate on the forums as to whether or not Autozone and the others carried an OEM style AP branded unit or a cheap knockoff. After my visit to Autozone today, I took a couple of pictures just to clarify for everyone.

As you can see, clearly identical to what you see for sale on some of the board sponsor websites. This one only cost me $64.99 at Autozone. It comes in a big clear plastic "Duralast" bag. Not a Duralast product, of course, just like the OEM one is not actually a GM product - just manufactured by AP and sold under that name. Hope this helps anyone looking for clarity.
Looks just like the one I got from Monster. I think even my stock '01 slave was branded with "AP" as well.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the ones o'rielys sells called power torque are they also the same as the gm units
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Looks just like the one I got from Monster. I think even my stock '01 slave was branded with "AP" as well.
Originally Posted by pkriner
What about the ones o'rielys sells called power torque are they also the same as the gm units
Ferocity02, exactly. And I mean no disrespect to our board sponsors by posting that - I just shelled out $320 for a Tick Master that I am super excited about and will be doing the same in the future on Monster's website for a clutch. Just confirming for other people that there are local options, as well, for an OEM quality slave unit.

Pkriner, looking at the pictures on O'Reilly's website, the power torque ones look like the ones people have posted pictures of here that failed very quickly. However, that's just by looking at their stock photo - I would run by there and just ask them to see it for confirmation. Look for the "AP" branding on it that I took a picture of in my last post. If it doesn't have that, I would go elsewhere.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM
On The Tree

Onyx_Black I stopped by a local autozone to look at the slave and check for the AP symbol before work. I was going to post a picture of it before I checked and saw you beat me to it lol. I am buying one on Thursday and will have it installed. Will report back and let everyone know if the car blows up or not lol.
Old 04-18-2012, 01:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll find the same thing with the stock master cylinders too I believe.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 AM
Teching In

Default Saving my pennies for new MC

Chris,

Thanks for your response. It has been awhile... I have been working three jobs to save the money for a new Tick MC (grin). Hope to order it soon and get it in the car so I can start enjoying it again.

The additional posts in the thread have been enlightening as well. Thanks for everyone sharing their experiences.

Randy

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
It doesnt sound like it is the slave. Yes the slave can fail/bind up but the reason isnt because of any poor quality design with the slave cylinder itself (there are 1000hp 6-speed cars with the OEM slave). Your problem seems to be in the clutch master cylinder. The stock GM master is a joke, it simply cannot flow enough fluid to the slave causing the fluid in the slave to heat and bind up the slave, resulting in premature death of the slave cylinder. The good news is we have the fix for you:

Tick Performance Adjustable Clutch Master Cylinder

***FYI it would be smart to go ahead and replace the slave cylinder too, for that added insurance, which we also have:
GM Slave Cylinder & Throwout Bearing for LS1 F-Body
Old 04-29-2012, 01:25 AM
8 Second 6 Speed Director

Location: windsor, ont. canada - Home of the fastest LT1 6spd.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the pics and info! can you pull that hard bleeder and install a braided line? has anyone done that. that is the only way I would be able to get it to hook to my Tick master.

thanks! I am tempted to run out and buy one of the Autozone specials. but even thought the casting house is the same it doesn't mean that they are machining the part. the reason I have any doubts is because after machining it is then assembled, but who knows, if a smaller company is running the service slaves anything is possible!

Last edited by taner; 04-29-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 05:57 PM
FormerVendor

Hey guys,

The problem you run into from buying at your local auto parts store is they do sell anything, meaning Nock-offs units from china, and now they look like the OEM units from AP, also they sit on there selves for sometimes years...

Since 1997 that slave has been updated 4 times and the master since 98 have been updated 3 times, now the 01-02 f-bodys came with the first updated, but since then its had 2 updates...

And yes some of this is exactly why most of you guys who have bought master from the local auto-parts store have gone through what 3 in 24k miles...

We've been selling the OEM units way over 10yrs, ours units are always fresh and updated, we buy directly from AP, we sell hundreds of each the slave & masters every year, with ONLY a few defects..IMO & hard facts mainly because the customer always addresses the whole problem not just a quick fix by replacing just one part of a 3 part systems, 4 parts if you include the fluid...

Depending on your driving style, type of driving and how many miles on your setup depends on what all you need to replace to make sure it ALL last you for years to come...

We always have instock ALL the correct/complete items you'll need to do your car right the first time...

Call us anytime...

Mike Yeager

Old 04-30-2012, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Onyx_Black_Z28
There seems to have been some debate on the forums as to whether or not Autozone and the others carried an OEM style AP branded unit or a cheap knockoff. After my visit to Autozone today, I took a couple of pictures just to clarify for everyone.

Here's what the one at Autozone looks like:

Here's that AP logo for verification:

As you can see, clearly identical to what you see for sale on some of the board sponsor websites. This one only cost me $64.99 at Autozone. It comes in a big clear plastic "Duralast" bag. Not a Duralast product, of course, just like the OEM one is not actually a GM product - just manufactured by AP and sold under that name. Hope this helps anyone looking for clarity.
I went and got the same autozone one after lots of research too. As long as it's the one that says AP it's good to go :-)

Quick Reply: Sticking clutch pedal, need recommendation for slave cylinder