Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trans rebuild time? strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trans rebuild time? strange noise

I was driving yesterday and I got on it,2nd-4th and let off. It made a strange noise while decelerating. It almost sounded like I ran over some twigs. You know, that scraping noise. Then, it made a horrible noise like I lost my bottem end. I pushed the clutch I. Quickly and it seemed to stop. Then, with the clutch pushed in I rev'd it to 4-5k then it came back. I was able to drive home shifting under 3k no problem. Drives and shifts fine. I started it today and it has this strange whistling noise. So I rev'd the motor just a little and it goes along with the rpm. I haven't tried to drive it today but if I do ill keep the rpms under 3k.

Little history on the trans.
Its been on this rebuild for 5 years. Always had over 400rwhp at least with lots of racing and burnouts. 5th gear shift fork was bent last year to failing stock hydros racing for 10 minutes straight lol. All in all its been a great trans.

So what does this sound like? Input shaft? I should also note that the front seal started to leak last year. Not a lot but it does leak

Sorry for the book.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After researching and thinking about it I've come to the conclusion that it's the pilot bushing. Looked under the car and saw my trans mount is broke and the bolt is gone. I was basically running no trans mount and the tranny could move where ever it wanted, putting extra strain on the pilot bushing . The strange noise I heard and the horrible "braking apart" sound leads me to believe the pilot bushing was destroyed or close to it. I drove the car (10feet) and rev'd the **** out of it in gear with the clutch in and with the trans in neutral with the clutch in and out. No noise at all. I'm pulling he trans tomorrow so here to wishful thiniking! Ill keep you posted on my findings.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Found the problem. The slave bolts decided to back out. One stayed in some what, but one was sitting n the bottom of the bellhousing chewed up and bent. Lucky this was a quick fix. Nothing else was damaged.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:40 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The slave bolts oftentimes pull threads out of the front adapter plate. Might want to heli-coil them and use loc-tite.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep. It did strip the threads outs so j already bought the heli-coil. Forgot how much money those damn things are. Also replacing the pilot bushings is worn out.