Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Installing a Rockland tailshaft bushing

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
It could be something loose inside the tail housing?

My Rockland bushing seems to be holding up, only have about 100 miles on it though.
Yeah I though that too. Might want to play it safe and just pull the DS to be sure. When I pulled mine, the bushing came out withy the DS. Not good.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to make a trip back home tomorrow, 500 mile one way, plus another few hundred miles driving around. I really don't want to pull the DS, would it be bad if I drove with it like this? It certainly was a tight fit installing the driveshaft. I pretty much had to use a mallet to get it in.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You needed a mallet to get the DS into the trans? That doesn't sound right. It should slide easily I would imagine. Rockland says to aim for a 0.003" clearance fit between the bushing and the slip yoke. Although it will probably break in the bushing anyways if it's too tight. Not sure.
Old 05-18-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Maybe what I'm hearing is just the driveshaft spinning inside the tight bushing? I guess it could "wear in" a little bit and eventually silence itself? Would that be bad. I can't imagine it wearing too big a groove into the yoke.
Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Well I took the trip home anyway, and I had a hunch about the noise it was making. It sounded like it was coming from the shifter. Somehow when I took the shifter off to drop the tailhousing, the Pro 5.0 rear stop bolt had worked its way forward. The noise I was hearing was the rattling of the loose nut and bolt, and I was getting some vibrations from the bolt coming too far forward, not allowing 6th gear to go in all the way. I simply backed the bolt out as far as I could and I have ZERO sound and vibrations (well, no abnormal vibrations at least).

Definitely enjoy driving this thing on the road more now.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ya mine did that too once I had the stop bolt touching the shifter nub. I set it now with pulling on the shifter lightly 1-3 and 2-4 (dont shift hard 5-6 every) then having the bolt touch that, and back it off 1/4 turn. So only when really pull on the shifter it hits the bolt, but them moves away a little when your not pushing a little on the shifter. If it dose it can rattle on it.

Did you pull the DS? how was that doing?

check out the thread Lowethedynamite made about when it broke his 2nd gear facpalte, last month. he had a buch of copper in the fuild, and the trailshaft bushing was getting eaten up when it pulled the trans apart. Some other had that happen too, the had the yoke fitting tight, and some said you need to have it more loose then you would think, or that happens. The yoke starts eating up the bushing, and thats how the bushing can spin on the housing when it gets stuck to the yoke form trash.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Teching In

so you had no problems at all? i need one for mine. mine walked out of its hole at 120

whoooops
Old 02-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Teching In

Ferocity02 & HoLLo, how are your Rockland bushings holding up? I know this is almost a 2 year old thread, but hoping it's old enough for some real world/mileage results.
My factory bushing looked questionable so I tapped it out before realizing the issues around replacing it. Wanted to see how the Rockland was holding up before ordering and installing myself.

Last edited by ed1le; 02-21-2014 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:15 PM
Teching In

@ Hollo I know this thread has been a while but hows that bearing bushing holding up..I have the same symptoms on my car..

Quick Reply: Installing a Rockland tailshaft bushing