Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

very odd shifter movement

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very odd shifter movement

2000 ws6, m6. while cruising on the highway in 5th gear, it moves back a 1/2 inch or so when i give it gas. If i let off the throttle in moves back up. Monster stage 3 clutch with billet flywheel put in a year ago. Rebuilt t56 installed 2 years ago. The T56 was installed by a local tranny shop with 35 years experience and very reputable. The clutch was installed by me in about 5-6 hours on a lift taking my time. Just started to happen today.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:47 AM
12 Second Club

Bad transmission mount? Only thing I can think of easy enough to check.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:22 AM
On The Tree

Or motor mount. Or both.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Teching In

remember now. it only happens in 5th. I would think if it were one of those two it would happen in all gears. Maybe a loose gear or bad syncros?
If i step on it hard the shifter moves right out of gear.

Last edited by notfastenoughyet; 04-10-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by notfastenoughyet
remember now. it only happens in 5th. I would think if it were one of those two it would happen in all gears. Maybe a loose gear or bad syncros?
If i step on it hard the shifter moves right out of gear.
My 5th was doing the same exact thing rocking back and forth with accel/decel, and would also grind a bit shifting into 5th and 6th.
The other day I was cruising on the freeway and BANG! pops outta gear and started making a horrible growling noise. Anyways brought the car back home, Ripped the tranny out and apart, the snap ring and 5/6 synchro keys and retainer wires broken/stuck to the internal magnet and i guess a broken part of one of the keys made way into the cluster gear bearing and tore it apart. Now waiting on replacement parts from Tick.

I'd pull the tranny asap or have it looked at, Itll be cheaper to fix now then to wait like i did and destroy bearings and thrust washers. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

Quick Reply: very odd shifter movement