Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Wiring - help please

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile T56 Wiring - help please

I have been trying to research T56 wiring for months, and have been unable to determine which wire does what. Tranny is a 1998 F-body T56, all the factory senders are in place. I have the skip shift capped, and have pigtails for the reverse lockout, reverse lights, and VSS. Question. On each connection, how do you tell which is the sender and which is the ground WITHOUT using a multi-meter? If using a multi meter is really the only way, does anyone have ohm resistance handy that I should see when I'm testing the wires? How about a quick run-through of the process?
Wires are not stock color, so I have ruled that out. If anyone can tell me how to determine which wire is which without a multi-meter I would appreciate it very much...

Rinky
Scott AFB IL
72 Chevelle
LS376/480
F-body T56
GONNA BE DRIVING IT IN OCTOBER!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 03:40 AM
Staging Lane

Bump. Anyone know how to tell which wire does what on each sender? I know which sender is which, just need details on how to differentiate which wire is which coming from each sender.
????????????
TJR
Old 05-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Staging Lane

So I have figured out the stock wiring, it is as follows:

Reverse Lockout = GM part 12101857
Pink = +12V
Green = Ground

VSS = GM 88987993
Purple = speedometer signal
Green/Black = Ground

Backup Lights = GM 12085485
Green = +12V Ignition
Brown = To backup lights

But this info does me no good without knowing which wire is positioned where on the pigtails. Looking for pictures of a GM harness turns out nothing with enough resolution to check it out. Apparently, these GM parts are shipped with white/white wires so they can be used in multiple vehicles with different wire colors. So....
Does anyone have a good pic of some factory T56 connectors so I can cross reference the wire colors to my pigtails? Or can anyone tell me which wire is positioned on which side of the connector? Just trying to cross reference.

Details: 1998 WS6 T56 mated to a GMPP LS3 376/480, GMPP computer. Car = 1972 Chevelle...

TJR
Tom Ringlein
Scott AFB, IL
Old 06-01-2012, 06:32 AM
TECH Regular

reverse lock out is a switch 2 wires it doesn't matter same with back up lights the vss is the only one that needs to be correct because of the signal from the reluctor wheel i went thru the same thing in my auto to 6spd swap the vss is exactly opposite in an auto as a 6spd .. the old man..........

Quick Reply: T56 Wiring - help please