Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Should I try Synchromesh

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

If your t56 has the old style paper blockers you might wanna stay away from the syncromesh stuff
Old 09-02-2018, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What years had the paper or when was the crossover year it changed?
Old 09-02-2018, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Not sure exactly. From what I've seen it looks like they switched maybe around 1998-1999
Old 09-04-2018, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,444 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by AMS13
When I did my clutch (Monster stage 2) over the winter I filled the tranny with a basic dex III from Napa. The tranny does not shift to smooth at all, and when I semi get on the gas and shift, it will sometimes grind. The car has a Tick MC in it, along with a speed bleeder.... I am wondering if its worth the $45 to try the GM Synchromesh, or is there a cheaper better alternative?
When the T56 in my 99 TA did that the Pilot bearing/bushing was worn out. It had ~155,000 miles or so total and a lot of hard use. I don't know in your case but that might be something to keep in mind.

Regarding manual transmission fluid. Here's my experience.

I ran Mobile 1 synthetic ATF for over six years and 50,000+ miles in my 99 Trans Am ' s stock T56 with the paper synchronizers - no issues. The transmission shifted better with the Mobile 1 synthetic ATF than the Dextron 3. GM doesn't offer Dextron 3 anymore, I think Dextron 6 is the new fluid. It might be better in a manual than Dex 3.

I ran Synchromesh manual transmission fluid for over four years and 50,000+ miles in my 99 Trans Am ' s stock T56 with the paper synchronizers - no issues. The transmission shifted better than with the Mobile 1 synthetic ATF or Dextron 3.

Starting in 2015, I also had the clutch master cylinder bleed yearly. That seemed to help some. Also when doing a manual transmission fluid change, had the clutch master cylinder fluid changed. I think it's a lot like brake fluid and can slowly absorb moisture. The local shop found this slightly annoying but did it and I was happy with the results.

Was all of this bleed, fluid change stuff effective or was it my imagination? Owner of a large performance shop who wasn't aware my maintenance routine, drove the 99 TA helping trouble shoot another problem. "I've driven hundreds of these cars. The clutch pedal and clutch engagement is perfect!" We discussed. He also felt since these cars have some age on them that changing clutch master cylinder fluid and a good bleed can be worthwhile even with the stock set up.

Early GM Transmissions used Synchromesh and it's an excellent manual transmission fluid. I really liked in my TA's stock T56. Some friends use 1 qt of Synchromesh and 3 qt of Dextron. They say even a qt helps shifting.

Later, the TA was upgraded to a RPM Level 6 T56 Magnum and uses Royal Purple's Synchro-Max. This is pretty fantastic as well. The RP stuff is expensive. I've not ran it in a stock T56, so I don't know how it would be or if it can hurt paper synchronizers. I would contact RP or a top notch shop and ask.

The only issue the TA's old T56 has with 155,000 + miles was the pilot bearing failed. The synchronizers are still good.

My 91 RS has a Hawk's Level 2 T56. It's a good transmission but definitely shifts best when warm. It has Dextron (probably Dex 6) in it. I plan to go to Royal Purple's Synchro-Max have clutch fluid changed & bleed this month.

In my experience Dextron 3 was the worse driving/shifting fluid but it was commonly available and recommended. Probably, the most important thing to do is change the fluid regularly and bleed the hydraulic's.

FWIW - all of my comments are based on direct personal experience as the first owner of both cars and knowing all of their history, how they maintained and driven.

Best wishes sorting out the issue.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

I also read that T56 with paper blocker rings vs the newer carbon ones should use Dex3 as the paper rings, over time, broke down with synthetics. This certainly is not a near term issue, more a prolonged lifetime use issue I believe. Around 98 or 99 Tremac switched to the carbon rings which were not effected by whatever is in synthetics that effects the paper rings.

So as far as what "secret sauce" synthetic to use. I found Redline D4 to be very good especially in smoothing out notchy shifts and especially cold shifts. Obviously,no fluid will "fix" a worn tranny

I bought my T56 from D&D in 05 and they said it had Carbon rings and that Mobil 1 or the Redline would be fine if I wanted to use it but said Dex 3 is perfectly fine.. With that said I just use store brand DEX3 and the tranny has 50k mi on it. Tranny shifts very well. I may do a 50k mi fluid change and use the D4 again...but its around $8 qt IIRC
Old 09-04-2018, 05:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Has anyone tried BG Synco Shift? I've read some extremely positive reviews on this stuff, but not much on our cars
Old 10-04-2018, 07:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Bumping this up for anyone who might be interested. I went ahead and switched from Dex 3 ATF to BG Synco Shift tonight. Its a noticable difference. A little less notchy and has more of a fluid and smooth type feel. Not a huge difference, but definitely noticeable. The biggest difference was how much less transmission noise comes through the shifter. That was a big difference. Haven't tried at the track or extended hard driving yet, but overall it's a nice improvement over the old standard ATF. Just thought i'd share
Old 10-30-2018, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

The changeover from paper lined synchronizer friction rings (blockers) occurred in 2001. So 4th gens dated 1998-2000 will have the cellulose blockers. They can be very fussy on what works with them, especially on the synthetics. Tremec only recommends Mobil 1 ATF if you aren't using a conventional DEX3 equivalent. No doubt almost any fluid will work....for "some" period of time. Every transmission is a little different so your results with any particular fluid will vary some (or by a lot) vs someone else's experiences. I've run into plenty of posts where owners had bad experiences with the RP, BGSS, Pennzoil Synchromesh, etc. Best overall results have seen to come from Dex3, M1, Red Line D4, and Amsoil ATF torque drive. No doubt, you can have great results with ANY fluid....while the next guy may not. And just because a fluid feels great on your shifting today or next year....doesn't mean it's not damaging your transition prematurely.

GM may not have DEX 3 ATF anymore. But they sell a newer product approved for T56's that meets the original specs, and then some...been around for over 10 yrs.. It has a stronger chemical add pack than the original DEX3...though it's a far cry from the add packs of the ones listed above. GM 88861800 is the approved stuff for your T56's. It's a slightly boosted Dex 3. AcDelco sells it as part #10-4033....manual transmission and transfer case fluid. I use it in my T56 as I have an original 19K mile T56 with paper blocker rings.
Old 01-09-2019, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got my t56 out of my 02 SS back from tick yesterday. Trying to decide what fluid to put in it. I also have a tick master and a brand new slave. Hoped they would fix my issue but turned out trans was tore up pretty bad. I’ve got a jug of valvoline max life in the garage that I run in other vehicles mainly because it seems to be about the only thing I can seem to find around here, but I really don’t want to put it in the SS, it didn’t shift very good before, be it from the fluid or it’s overall condition, probably even causing the condition. Did I read correctly that the 02 does not have the paper blocker rings? I’ve been reading through the threads trying to find what seems to be the most commonly recommended and the only ones that seem to stand out from the rest so far are redline and amsoil. Does that seem to be about right?

Quick Reply: Should I try Synchromesh