Browse all: Tranmission Guides
Print Wikipost

Clunking noises while shifting in 1st and 2nd

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 06:23 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Clunking noises while shifting in 1st and 2nd

So I've noticed over the past few days that if I'm coming to a stop and I shift in to 2nd from neutral from less than 15mph as I'm coasting, I get a clunking sound in the rear end area. If I move the shifter back and forth from neutral to 2nd while coasting it will make the noise pretty much every time. Also, sometimes from a stop when I shift in to 1st from neutral it will do the same thing. It's not a violent clunk, but it's noticeable and has given me cause for concern. Unfortunately I can't say if it's there when shifting up through the gears since the car is a bit too loud to hear anything back there, but I don't think it is. For what it's worth I also have a kind of grinding/rattling sound when shifting in to 3-5, with 3rd being the worst and the sound hanging around under heavier throttle. It's kind of a resonant buzzing sound that matches the resonance of the engine. Someone else on here had the same problem and found that he had a bad pilot bearing, so I'm wondering if that's the cause. I don't know if the pilot was done when the previous owner did the clutch, I should probably ask. Would a bad pilot bearing cause the clunking I explained earlier?

Other than that, the car drives and shifts fine. Never misses a gear or gives me grief upshifting or rev matched down shifting. I just want to make sure nothing is going to grenade on me this summer!

Last edited by LS1again; 05-01-2012 at 06:53 AM.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:11 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

check your trans mount.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

What you describe-- a light shuttling sound that you have called clunk... that is heard when shifting gears is normal. The sound I am addressing is one you would get, say rolling at 10-15mph, clutch depressed/ released and shifting fore / aft 3rd 4th . Each shift would provide a lash/ shuttle take-up noise.Think of it this way: when you shift you are selecting a different set of gear clutching teeth. This selection requires a re-indexing of these clutch teeth ( a different set)as the shift sleeve is moved. The shuttling sound heard is just this re-indexing.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:49 PM
Launching!

And that "shuttling" inside the tranny would cause the clunking all the way back in the rear end area? I tested it a bit more today driving around, and I found if I'm coming to a stop light and coasting down slow enough to where I can get it in to 1st, that if I move the shifter between 1 and 2 while moving with the clutch all the way depressed, I get the sound in both 1st and 2nd as soon as that gear is selected. It's as if when I select the gear, it's making the transmission turn on it's longitudinal axis, causing something to knock around in the rear end. It's kind of disconcerting but again, the car drives fine other than that. I just can't tell if the noise is in the pumpkin, or somewhere in the general rear end area. It kinda seems like it might even be the torque arm slamming against the rear end. Hopefully this weekend I have decent weather and I can get the car jacked up to check all of the relevant mounts to see if one of them has been compromised.

Also, FWIW, I also found that if I'm parked, engage the clutch and put the tranny in 1st then take it out of 1st and release the clutch (and dont disengage the clutch to start moving the car), there's some kind of slight knocking sound as the clutch disengages, and then it doesn't do it again unless I select a gear again while parked. Any idea if this is normal?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

"And that "shuttling" inside the tranny would cause the clunking all the way back in the rear end area?"
Yes . It is not cause=effect but rather the accumulated fits or lash that contribute to the sound. The trans is part of it but also the fit at the clutch spline, the spring index at the clutch disc, the fit of the output spline the universal fits and the ring & pinion lash. The all contribute to a wind-up/ lash that you can hear.
Old 08-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm resurrecting this thread to ask on a 73k mile car what can be done to minimize it because this is exactly what mine is doing.
Should I do u joints and a trans mount to start?
Thanks

Quick Reply: Clunking noises while shifting in 1st and 2nd