Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch inconsistant

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch inconsistant

My clutch is starting to be weird. I think I may have a problem with the master cylinder.

It seems to engage and disengage rather rough. The trans shift's fine except for 5th it grinds at anyhthing about 2500 rpms.

I can be sitting there idling rev the motor to about 6k push in the pedal and it will nearly stay on the floor. A few quick shifts 1-4 it does the same thing, and if you shift hard on it right on the rev limit it will stay on the floor and takes a few kicks and pumps to come back.

Does this sounds like a master cylinder crapping out on me. The previous owner has def pulled the trans before. I gotta pull it in the next month or two anyways to send it to tick in which point I will be putting a simple stage 1 spec in. It's jut a bolt on street car.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone?
Old 05-14-2012, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

Kev, have you tried bleeding and refilling the system? The clutch sticking to the floor can be caused by air in the hydraulics, so I would try that first.

Even if that is the case, frankly, if you are going to be sending the trans to tick and doing business with them, just go ahead and buy a Tick MC! One of the best mods I ever did to my car. Instead of having to force it into gear on high RPM shifts, it's almost like the shifter WANTS to go into the next gear with the Tick. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 05-14-2012, 02:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks, yeah picking up a tick mc this week. I did bleed the system and did not help much. I knew the stock mc's on these cars were bad, but I didn't think they were this bad.

Seems like chevy just put a great stock motor in these cars and cut corners on the mc and especially such a week rearend.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:51 AM
FormerVendor

Heat, usage and a diaphragm with a higher actuation effort can combine to throw a properly working slave or master into a mess. If the hydraulics haven't been changed over the life of the car it is still fitted with the older, even less effective and more problematic OE parts that pre-date the 2001 shift to updated GM components. Replace the slave and master and this should help. You mention installing one of our Stage 1's in the future. You can buy a slave, or master, or both at the same time if you like. I would be happy to work a package deal for you! Thanks and let me know if you have any further questions.