Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch engaging at the very top of the pedal issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch engaging at the very top of the pedal issues

Here's some details, I've posted this issue before but haven't had the chance to pull the trans and see exactly what's up. I'm planning on it in the next few weeks.

Textralia exo skel twin disc, less than 5k miles on it, new stock master and stock slave, no shim behind slave. After talking to Jarrod from Textralia and a few others, the clutch may be the problem. The floater plate seems to be hanging up causing it to slip, it does it worse when it's warm. It drives fine until you get over half throttle in the upper gears. I've got all the specs on the clutch, I'll check that when I pull the trans.

Another though I had, which is the reason for this post, is that my clutch engages at the very top of the pedal. I can actually lay my foot on the clutch with no pressure and tell it's slightly disengaging it. The previous owner who did the install, which I'm almost positive was done correctly, made the comment during the test drive that you could hear the floater plate rattle so you knew it was completely disengaging. I'm wondering if it's not completely engaging. Is there any way to make the slave put more pressure and engage more and at the same time move the pedal down a little toward the middle? Thanks!

Last edited by ncsu602; 08-16-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 06:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

anybody?
Old 05-17-2012, 06:19 AM
Launching!

tick adjustable master cylinder FTW!!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:20 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

One of our masters would definitely allow for a slight adjustment of that disengagement point. I hope you cannot hear the pressure plate fingers rattling, that would mean you have some more serious issues.

Nice to see someone from the same town as me!!
Old 05-17-2012, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the clutch is engaging at the top and, with you resting your foot on the pedal, will release then you have a stack height/lift release issue.

Get with the guys at Tex and have them give you the specs of what the clutch should be. Pull it out and review it, more than likely it's off.

When you're friend said you could hear the fingers rattle I sincerely hope he meant floater plate... just saying. The only way to make the release lower is to decrease the overall stack height or alter the lift/release point.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Chris@Tick
One of our masters would definitely allow for a slight adjustment of that disengagement point. I hope you cannot hear the pressure plate fingers rattling, that would mean you have some more serious issues.

Nice to see someone from the same town as me!!
I'm on Triad Fbody too, hoping to make it to some meets this year. As soon as this clutch issue gets straightened out, I'm going to Farmington for test n tune. I'm sure I'll see you around!

I've got all the specs from Tex ready for when I pull the trans, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I'm tempted to order another clutch and sell this one, it's pretty overkill for my setup. As far as the fingers, he may be talking about the floater plate. I've always heard these clutches were noisy. I just get the feeling its disengaging too well and not engaging enough. The car drives fine under normal driving, but over 1/2 throttle 3-6 it slips. I'll know something for sure in a few weeks, just trying to cover my bases so I know what all to look for. Thanks for all the replies!

Quick Reply: Clutch engaging at the very top of the pedal issues