Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

reverse and 4th gear pop issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reverse and 4th gear pop issues?

reverse doesnt feel like its wanting to engage all the way, sometimes it takes me like 10 attempts of rolling back alittle pops out alittle stops then completely pops out...

4th is randomly popping out by its self not always, but some days several times and others none at all, ive also noticed that sometimes when in 4th crusing if i try to push it into neutral without using clutch it either feels like theres a wall like there should be or it feels like geary grindy feeling like its not where its suppose to be....

oh and 5th and 6th gear are almost impossible to hit under full throttle shifting....

do i need to order tick master cylinder now? or is there other issues i can look into first? when i got the car it already had a hurst shifter not sure what kind but with chrome stick and white ball on top, not sure if it has adjustments or not?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's the teeth between the gear and the slide ring thing(cannot remember the name) or the fork pads are worn making the ring not fully engaging. I have the same issue with my trans. I have a stage two rebuild kit but am waiting on a clutch to rebuild it. With the reverse you can remove the tail housing and swap the slide ring 180* to give it a fresh surface to mate too. This won't work if your fork pads are the issue.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:38 AM
On The Tree

Hey and I noticed if reverse isn't wanting to work, if I throw it into 1st first then to reverse then it will work, mean anything?
Old 05-17-2012, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, that your synchronizer is shot. By shifting into another gear first, you are "indexing" all the gears a little. This allows for an easier entry to reverse ( what your synchronizer should be doing ...if it were healthy)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Fork pads, or bent shift fork. Master wont help you in this situation you are going to need to tear down the trans and rebuild it.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Where should I buy a rebuild kit from? And anything to upgrade while I got it out and torn apart? Price?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:10 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

check out this link:

http://www.tickperformance.com/categ...Am/Parts-Only/

Quick Reply: reverse and 4th gear pop issues?