Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Tick or TDP for rebuilt trans (no core)

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tick or TDP for rebuilt trans (no core)

Whats the difference between Tick & TDP's stage 1 rebuilt trans? My T56 is trashed. The PO drove it for months with 5th & 6th gear gone. (I know because he's my buddy) So, I'm looking to order a trans outright this week. These two companies are about the same price so which is the better rebuild? Any other companies I should contact? Thanks.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Might be worth talking to RPM as well

http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/#!
Old 05-17-2012, 12:34 AM
TDP
FormerVendor

We offer special machining and parts that no other builder does (to my knowledge). We use actual chromoly alloy for the 3/4 billet keys, and we also offer shaft journal repairs and upgrades. For example, we get the mainshaft 5/6 journals re-machined a few thousandths thicker to form a tighter press-fit of the 5/6 driven gear. It's a poor design from the factory and it usually tends to work loose and even cause high-speed vibrations. Once machined, it's much better than new. We also check all mains hafts for straightness, as about one outta every 5 is slightly bent. Just do some searching here and there is a lot of info about it (I don't have the link right off-hand).
I will also send you a pre-paid UPS shipping label via email, so you'll get my actual cost for shipping the transmission. Check the links in my sig.

Oh, I see you have no core. This could be an issue, as these trannys are not simply laying around, due to the high demand. I could have had 50-60 units sold if I just had all the cores
I've only been able to sell maybe 15-20 units since Jan 1 of this year. I've got 5 that I'm currently building, but thats going to completely wipe out my supply.
Your BEST bet would be to find a core and send it in for a build. I literally buy every T56 that I can find, and its still not nearly enough.
ANY core will do, 03-04 Cobra, Corvette, GTO, LT1, LS1, etc,etc. I'd prefer LT1 or LS1, but I can convert any one of them. Typically I sell the ones with Vette internals outright for $2350 and the f-body ones for $2250.
If you find a core, it could be a lot cheaper, but even if its trashed beyond recognition, I'll still give $400 credit towards the price of a fresh trans.
Give me a call or email for more info. See sig below. Thanks
Jason

Quick Reply: Tick or TDP for rebuilt trans (no core)