Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

LT1 to LSX tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 to LSX tranny questions

I just inherited my brother's '93 T/a with an LT1 and a T56. The motor is coming out regardless because it's seen the roughest 150k miles any LT1 has ever seen and won't hold very good oil pressure anymore. I've got a 5.3 vortec I'm going to build and was wondering what all was involved with bolting it to my '93 T56.

I know the bell housing pattern on the 5.3 is different but what flywheel/clutch components do I use? will a flywheel for an LT1 bolt to a Gen III? Do I use a clutch for a Gen III or an LT1? Spacing issues?

I've read in another thread about someone putting a '95 T56 in their '02 T/a and all they had to do was change the faceplate and input shaft while someone on the same thread said the '93 T56 won't work with an LSX without a much more involved modification process.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm not sure what is involved in making your transmission work but if you have to buy a bellhousing and change the input shaft by the time you pay the labor and parts to make yours work you could almost buy one thats a gauranteed fit and the 93s have different gearing and aren't as strong as the newer T56s. I'm pretty sure on Ticks website that they won't warranty a 93 transmission because of them being a weaker set up. I would honestly look for a LS style transmission and sell your LT transmission to help finance it.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you will end up paying about $450 in parts. I did the same, got a good deal on an lt1 t56 and by the time I was done I could have bought a ready to go ls1 trans. but if you already have it, it may be worth it. you will need the LS input shaft, midplate and bellhousing. the swapover isn't hard at all, only takes about 30 mins once the trans is out. I ended up buying my parts from about 4 different places trying to get the best deal on everything. you will also need the ls slave/throwout assembly
Old 05-26-2012, 07:03 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys. I'm mechanically inclined enough to do it all myself, so I'm not worried about labor costs.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that 93 t56 wont work with your ls motor. 94-97 t56's can be converted by changing the front input shaft, midplate and bellhousing. however the 93 t56 has a lower ratio gear set and the internals are different which means it can use the conversion parts to make it fit an ls motor.

if you want a t56 behind your 5.3 you need to sell the 93 and buy a new t56. if you get a 94-97 you can convert or just find a 98-02 and have it bolt right up
Old 05-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Teching In

redbird's post confirmed my suspicions. This T56 has seen some really hard miles like the rest of the car and the syncros are making a awful lot of noise during downshifts. By the time I spend the money to get it back in tip top shape and convert it (if it were possible) I'd probably be just as deep into money-wise as if I'd just bought a new t56 to start with. I'll probably end up selling it as is and put that money towards a late model t56 that I don't have to do work to. Luckily for me there is a 4th/5th gen f-body graveyard about 50 miles from me, so I'll have no trouble finding what I need.

Quick Reply: LT1 to LSX tranny questions