Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

*Torque Converter making knocking sound* not sure why

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Torque Converter making knocking sound* not sure why

So, First I am new here, Joined up cause I am out of options on what to do. So I decided to pick your brains on this problem I am having.

Just got my TH400 rebuilt for my 71 Skylark, and got a new Torque converter.
My brother and I installed everything and of course the car is acting up. Here is the description, First it seems like the transmission is slipping but it has plenty of fluids in it, and it seems also its not kicking into gear all the way, like someone is pushing the clutch in. Second, The Converter is making a knocking sound. I think I have found the problem on the knocking sound. It may be because the converter is moving back and forth while the car is running idle, causing it to knock against the Transmission....What do I do? did I install it wrong????
Old 05-23-2012, 10:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If you push in the clutch pedal, the noise in the torque converter will go away.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
If you push in the clutch pedal, the noise in the torque converter will go away.

You may want to move your thread to the Automatic Transmission forum.

What was the clearance between the tq converter and the flywheel when you installed it? I know with the 4L60E it is supposed to be 1/8 to 1/16 of an inch. If the bolts bottomed out into the torque converter holes, but it still wasn't flush against the flywheel (the bolts were too long) you could easily get that issue. But I would think that would break something pretty quick... If that is the case, shorten the bolts. Or you need to shim the converter.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:12 PM

Oh, ooppss, I thought it was in a transmission thread.

I made the shim a little bit thicker, and that fixed the knocking sound, now I am trying to fix the getting out of first gear problem. but cant do that yet, Ran out of gas. Damn, so Now I gotta go get some fuel. I'll keep ya updated on the situation.
Old 05-23-2012, 12:44 PM
Teching In

Make sure the linkage is perfect in every gear.
Put it in N, set the linkage.
Move the shifter to R, and it should slide in and out easily with the trans in R
Same as D
etc. IT has to be perfect or you'll have issues.
Old 05-23-2012, 02:13 PM

Ok, did that, Now its stuck in 1st gear, and the RPMs go way up just trying to move the car....my buddy says it may be a vacuum issue, and looking through some of the threads on the forum, it sounds like it..So gonna get a whole new line. I'll keep you updated.

Quick Reply: *Torque Converter making knocking sound* not sure why