Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

GM T56 Quick Connect Clutch line converted to fit Wilwood Master

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default GM T56 Quick Connect Clutch line converted to fit Wilwood Master

I recently attempted to find a reasonably priced way to connect the factory stock GM Quick-Disconnect clutch master line to a Wilwood master cylinder.

This was done for my 1981 Trans Am, which I'd originally set up with a RAM Adjustable master (crap), a DSE 4th gen to 2nd gen conversion mounting bracket (very nice), and a drill-modded clutch line (nice). After two days of use, the RAM master leaked. I got POed and wished all sorts of evil upon the miscreants who designed this toad (essentially a knockoff of the GM stock master, with a threaded rod welded onto to it). After my hissy fit, I decided to go with a Wilwood Clutch master. This went hand-in-hand with the Wilwood manual brake conversion I'd decided to do. (which required a couple mods to the car--I'll detail later if anyone shows interest.)

Teaser Pic:

The switch to Wilwood forced me to do something about the clutch line. The Stock GM line has a neat-o quick-disconnect fitting, which I've made use of several times, and I really wanted to retain. However, a Wilwood master cylinder has a 1/8 inch NPT female connection, instead of the roll pin retained thingy used by the stock GM master. Options were few: You could but the Mcleod conversion hose (terminates with a -AN 4 fitting) + a -AN4 to 1/8 NPT banjo fitting, OR you can have a custom hose made.

Good luck finding one at a reasonable price. The Mcleod piece appears to be VERY nice, but will set you back about $75 + whatever the banjo bolt costs + delivery. I'm a cheap ***, and I'm impatient, and so embarked upon an internet / phone quest...

...which ended at Carquest. For $20, the local Carquest took the end off my existing hose, and crimped on a very solid 1/8" NPT fitting (see pic below). Another $5 got me a high pressure 1/8" NPT 90 degree female to male fitting. In all, quite a bargain + instant gratification.

Last edited by 1981TA; 06-01-2012 at 07:05 PM.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Make sure you find The place to replace the fitting first. Non of my local carquest, napa, or hardware store that typically do hydraulic lines would touch it. I found a machine shop that builds dot approved brake lines and they hooked it up.. The id is 3/16 however the outside diameter was larger than a typical hydraulic line, causing the swedge sleeve not to fit over the braided line. . They were able to get a new qd that goes In the slave cylinder and build an entire new line .. For 25 bucks..

Quick Reply: GM T56 Quick Connect Clutch line converted to fit Wilwood Master