Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fluid?

Can Silicone DOT 5 fluid be used in the clutch system?
Old 06-10-2012, 07:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1Air
Can Silicone DOT 5 fluid be used in the clutch system?
No. There's no reason for it either. If you have a high-temp problem with exhaust clearance,etc., reroute or protect the line, don't bother with a high-temp fluid and seal issues. Good ol DOT3 or 4 for the street and some ATE super blue for the track.. ;-)
Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
No. There's no reason for it either. If you have a high-temp problem with exhaust clearance,etc., reroute or protect the line, don't bother with a high-temp fluid and seal issues. Good ol DOT3 or 4 for the street and some ATE super blue for the track.. ;-)
I run ATE super blue & it did nothing for me. I had the usual trouble shifting at the track especially when hot. Pedal would get real wierd after a pass & after cool down normal again. This year I went with a monster clutch & QT BH & drilled some vent holes in the front plate so the hot air could escape. Yesterday I had no problems at all, pedal stayed consistent & it was 90 degrees. I would remove the 2 plastic guards from the front of the BH, it gets so hot in the clutch area it boils the clutch fluid by heating up the slave.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that this is relative to heat and that a higher temp fluid is not the only part of the solution. Wrap the headers in a good heat insulating wrap, make sure the lines are routed behind the heat shield, and if you want to use a great fluid that has worked well for me on street and and track application go with Motul RBF-600.
Old 06-15-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you don't have headers on the car yet, when you do get some, spend some extra cash and get them ceramic coated. The heat difference is night and day for my clutch fluid because of that extra bit.

Quick Reply: Clutch fluid?