Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Won't Go Into Gears (Pops out of Reverse)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T56 Won't Go Into Gears (Pops out of Reverse)

Sorry for the lengthy post but I hate it when people don't give enough information. So I bought my Camaro (in sig) a little over a year ago. It now has 66,000 miles on it. It was always a little stiff going into gear but never gave me any problems except with reverse. Which was VERY hard to get over past the lockout (I checked my fuse it fine, I will be testing the solenoid when I replace the clutch). About 2 months ago it started to pop out of reverse randomly but not often. About a month ago it started getting hard to get it into gears 1-6 and now it pops out every 2-3 days. First gear was the worst to get in but the other ones don’t go smoothly either. I flushed out the clutch fluid (didn’t help), replaced the master cylinder with a new AC Delco master and did the drill mod (didn’t help). This is killing me! I paid a lot more money for a clean low mileage camaro so I wouldn’t have these problems!

I’m guessing its either the slave cylinder isn’t allowing the clutch to disengage properly or the clutch is bad. I’m ordering a Monster Stage III and new GM slave today but I’m not sure what to do with the reverse gear? Is it another symptom of the bad slave/clutch? Or do I need to replace some of the parts on the reverse gear?
Old 06-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am having the same issues. If you drive it like a granny, do the gears kinda work fine? If I tried to shift under high rpm's, it would pretty much lock me out of all gears. Even reverse. Or when I came to a complete stop, and try to park in a parking spot, it wouldn't let me. Anyway, I was talking to a few guys on here and they said it was the slave cylinder. I was going to try it when I get back to the states. Hope everything works out for ya.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Clutch not fully disengaging could cause this. As well as bent shift forks, worn/broken shift fork pads or dead syncros on the 1-6. But the last is unlikely to happen all at once.

As far as reverse; you can try removing the tail housing and inspecting the shift fork and pads. If they are good try to rotate the reverse synchronizer assembly 180* to give you a brand new engage surface. (it's #62 in the t56 manual)
Old 06-13-2012, 10:56 AM
Launching!

Thats some good info about the rotation. pm sent
Old 06-14-2012, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow the subscribe feature didn't work at all. Thanks for the info Exidos. I finally got a chance to check my transmission fluid (living in an apartment in LA makes doing anything with your car impossible). Ends up it was a little over 2 qts low. Any chance running it low on fluid caused premature failure of the shift fork pads and/or syncros? I'm sure I need to pull it apart and at least replace or flip reverse. I'm just trying to get an idea on what else is going to be needed.
Old 06-20-2012, 04:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

At two quarts low it could have certainly taken out the synchros. You need to break her down anyway so I'd go ahead and give everything a once over just for peace of mind. Just an idea of how important the fluid is to synchros, I know of guys that soak theirs overnight before install just to ensure they are saturated. The directions list a minimum of 20min I believe. The low fluid can damage just about anything in a manual trans so I'd say the fork pads should be looked at as well.

Quick Reply: T56 Won't Go Into Gears (Pops out of Reverse)