Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Me and my girl need some help! Clutch/tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me and my girl need some help! Clutch/tranny issues

my girl and I are having a few issues with her car, a ls1(2001) 240sx(95). Here is her story:
i just moved to NoHo, Socal from indiana. I'm basically posting up to see if theres anyone here in my region, i need help. the longer i drive (just cruising on the freeway in 6th), the stiffer, and harder my clutch pedal is to press down, to the point where after I've driven a fair amount, it'll just get stuck wherever i take my foot off the pedal and i have to pull it back up (bleeding the master cylinder didn't help). also, its starting to get harder to shift and this may sound weird but on occasions it almost sounds like something in the tranny is loose. i guess it'd make sense to be the pressure plate, but I've never heard of that affecting the clutch pedal, or sometimes making that sound. i don't know anyone out here, i don't have a garage (only a space in a parking garage), all the proper tools, or any help. i don't know whats wrong with my car, that being said, id be willing to throw some money someones way to personally help me, i don't want someone to do the work for me, i just need some experienced help. i daily an ls1 t56 s14 and sadly rely on it for transportation. Advice would be cool too...

Thanks!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

It could be a bad master cylinder however the noise you are hearing could be related to the slave

The noise could be the throw out bearing on the slave. If it was bad it could be getting stuck and not expanding and contracting properly.

My best advice is to bite the bullet and replace the slave and throw out bearing. Replacing the master may not be of any use
Old 06-17-2012, 01:01 AM
Teching In

hey I'm the op's 'girl', this is my car. i didn't even think ab the throw out bearing, thats more than likely the problem. that being said, should i still replace the slave cylinder? and another question, would you recommend taking the flywheel to a machine shop to be resurfaced? I'm trying to take the cheapest route possible, but at the same time, i don't want to neglect anything that could cause serious implications.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:48 AM
TECH Addict

You should replace the slave cylinder. They come with a throw out bearing from oreilleys and autozone. The throw out bearing is the large black circle on the end of the slave

Your flywheel will be fine. You will not need to remove the clutch or flywheel and do not need to resurface it. I would just spray some compressed air in the bell housing to clean out the clutch dust

The throw out bearing typically makes a rattle noise when you depress the clutch. When i had one go bad it just rattled like crazy without touching the clutch. Depending on how bad it is it's been known to cause vibrations and damage connections on the slave cylinder which sounds like what might be happening

I love ls1tech for the search feature. You should be able to find a write up in the manual transmission forum for a clutch swap which will show you everything you need to do. Swapping the slave will be easier because you can leave the bell housing with the clutch and flywheel bolted to the motor to replace just the slave and throw out bearing

Last edited by chrysler kid; 06-17-2012 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:27 AM
Teching In

i cant tell you how much i appreciate your advice, i will be ordering my parts tomorrow. i have one last question before i do. this started happening recently while driving, but when i push in the clutch, my car will jerk - almost as if i dropped the clutch or stalled, even though its on the floor. it will jerk the worst -that ive noticed- when I'm in traffic, cruising slowly in first, and then push in the clutch (it doesn't only happen in first). might that tie in with the slave/throw out bearing?
Old 06-21-2012, 04:28 AM
TECH Addict

Sounds liks it's related to your slave/throw out bearing not releasing properly. What you're describing are all symptoms of the hydraulic lines not working properly because of a faulty slave or throw out

Quick Reply: Me and my girl need some help! Clutch/tranny issues