Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

SPEC 3+ grabbing near the end of engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default SPEC 3+ grabbing near the end of engagement?

I have a T56 and SPEC 3+ in my '01 Silverado and have been having an issue with the clutch. It works great except when letting out the clutch pedal, at the very end of the clutch engagement the clutch suddenly grabs and jolts the truck a little bit. Even if I try to let the clutch out very slowly it will always grab at the very and and jolt. It's not a huge deal, but kind of annoying. Not bad enough to chirp the tires, but annoying for passengers. The clutch, slave, and master are new, resurfaced stock flywheel.

Anyone have a similar experience with the SPEC 3+? I did shim the slave but the clearance was still 0.120", the upper limit of what's recommended. Could this be the issue?

The clutch and trans probably have ~1200 miles on them and I have not really beaten on them yet. I'm still in the process of breaking in the 4.56's.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:49 PM
FormerVendor

That's odd... I would assume being the top end of the gap it would engage and disengage low.

Who did the resurface on your factory flywheel?
Old 06-18-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SNLPerformance
That's odd... I would assume being the top end of the gap it would engage and disengage low.

Who did the resurface on your factory flywheel?
Engagement point is fine, I'm using an adjustable master. SPEC resurfaced and balanced the flywheel with the pressure plate. They said the flywheel was thinner than recommended (it was resurfaced once before) but that it should still work okay with a shim. Maybe they'll chime in here.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spec 3+ is a NON marcel disk meaning its does not have those wavy spring like things between the friction surfaces. A disk like this engages very fast (narrow egagement window and usually very high) and is prone to a jolt but also provides more grip since the pressure from the pressure plate does not have to counter the pressure from the marcel springs.

By comparison, all OEM disks have marcel springs as to provide a more smoother and wider engagement window as to make it easier for the average Joe to drive.

I had a 3+ and it behaved the way you describe so considering how its built, I would call it normal.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ferocity02
Engagement point is fine, I'm using an adjustable master. SPEC resurfaced and balanced the flywheel with the pressure plate. They said the flywheel was thinner than recommended (it was resurfaced once before) but that it should still work okay with a shim. Maybe they'll chime in here.
I wouldn't wait for a response, call Jeremy out there and get to the bottom of it. Hell, it may be normal - but nobody knows Specs products like Spec. Call them.

Quick Reply: SPEC 3+ grabbing near the end of engagement?