Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

transmission not coming off of engine, 1994 trans am lt1

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission not coming off of engine, 1994 trans am lt1

we removed all the bolts (yes top 2 bolts), the exhaust after the headers, and the driveshaft (for the room), at first, before not moving the transmission the clutch fork would move freely from its "stationary" position, when we tugged on the transmission to break it free from the engine it just felt like it got stuck in something, and the clutch fork was pretty much pinned against the transmission (if looking from transmission towards engine) so it is pinned closer to the rear, the transmission will not come off, it can spin so obviously no bolts are left, it just seems that its being held by something inside

i have read about the pull style clutches that u need to pull on the fork to move it into another part of the transmission, but idk which way to pull on it (im looking at the fork that sticks out after removing slave cylinder

need help, leaving the car alone for tonight since i need to find out what to do
Old 06-22-2012, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should just be able to just tug on it. I usually just have the tranny in neutral and pull on the fork itself and it moves out about a half an inch.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

could the transmission have popped back into a gear when we tugged on it the first time? so there's nothing special that you need to do with the fork (i.e. twist/pull in a specific direction to release throw out bearing?) and it should just be pretty straight forward? how should it be hanging? the motor still has the motor mounts on it since i didnt remove them, and pretty much the tranny is hanging onto the engine with a jack under it, how should the transmission be hanging?
Old 06-23-2012, 09:09 PM
Staging Lane

for future referencing, after removing all bolts on transmission and before tugging on it, grab the clutch fork and give it a tug to pop it off the throw out bearing THEN you can pull off the trans

Quick Reply: transmission not coming off of engine, 1994 trans am lt1